• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

OrthodoxChristianity.net

PorphyriosK
PorphyriosK
Sounds like a very cartoonish version
hecma925
hecma925
You know, Orthodoxy exists outside of Greco-Slavic stereotypes, right? What are you even talking about? Is this a Latinist breakdown?
Serge
Serge
"Sounds like a very cartoonish version." It's short; pithy. What needs correcting/fleshing out without getting too long/wordy?
Serge
Serge
"You know, Orthodoxy exists outside of Greco-Slavic stereotypes, right?" Sure but not without controversy in America, for example - fights over language and the calendar, and Greeks and East Slavs ARE totally culturally Orthodox so this might not be wrong, just brief and general.
Serge
Serge
"What are you even talking about?" It came from a conversation elsewhere - typical Orthodox life and quintessentially Latin and modern things such as the Jesuits and Opus Dei are culturally very different!
Serge
Serge
"Is this a Latinist breakdown?" Please explain. Do you mean a Latin trying to fit Orthodoxy into a category that doesn't fit it? Not my intent.
PorphyriosK
PorphyriosK
I just meant it sounds like your experience of Orthodoxy comes from watching My Big Fat Greek wedding one too many times.
Like if my basic opinion of Catholicism came from watching the Godfather and the Exorcist films, it might be equally cartoonish.
Serge
Serge
Stereotypes aren't per se bad. They exist because they're generally true. Short, pithy - they give you the broad outlines but don't capture every nuance of everybody's experience.

I want more and stronger villages and extended families, so more Greek etc. weddings, when you're young, even late teens, having lots of kids! The Corleones minus the crime and the killing people.
hecma925
hecma925
The same sentiment you express is pretty universal in any agrarian society. Villages, tribes, clans producing and raising the next generation via large families (births, marriages, funerals - continued familial contact all the days of one's life).
Reactions: Serge
hecma925
hecma925
Birth rates are down in even the most culturally Orthodox countries, going to a point of almost no return. Even now in Italy, where the stereotype of a huge family getting together on Sunday, positive stereotypes are disappearing because people are not having children.
hecma925
hecma925
A modern day Nonna might be cooking for four people, since everyone is busy living and working elsewhere. It sounds like you based your desire on something that largely doesn't exist anymore outside of a Hollywood stereotype.
Serge
Serge
I know. Universal: many healthy societies, not just Christian - traditional Christian, Catholic or Orthodox - ones. And it's almost gone. Everything in our wicked modern society is working against it. Deliberately breaking up families and communities. I don't have the answer to bring it all back, and better, but traditional Christians shouldn't throw in the towel either.
hecma925
hecma925
"traditional Christians shouldn't throw in the towel either"

They shouldn't but most people prefer Mammon.
Serge
Serge
Sad but true. The wide highway to hell.