• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

“Tears at Golgotha”: Mr. Dreher likening his divorce to Christ’s crucifixion

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Lord, have mercy.

Ever since we lost our baby, there's no poem in the world that touches me more than Cântico do Calvário ("The Song of Golgotha"), which is not about Christ, but a eulogy for a 3-month-old. This type of analogy dates back to St. Paul and it's Orthodox.

Rod Dreher became notorious for public displays of internet bullying, which would be coming for him anyway at this point, but now may God make him sanctify in this Golgotha, just like he blessed him in mine...

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Lord, have mercy.

I read him several times a week.

Since he mentioned it, why does he allude to 2013? What happened to him and/or his wife then?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
After the crucifixion, he apparently resurrected and is spilling the beans on his family. Apparently they were mad at him he capitalized on his sister’s death the way he did. At least that’s what he’s implying that caused a big rift between him and the rest.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
But, summarizing a few rambling posts, rest assured, a series of miraculous omens during te Holy Lannd vacation ( it’s not even over I shudder to think what else the religious Stendhal syndrome is gonna produce ) and prior have made it clear he’s on the right path and perhaps he’s even suffering for others.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
The last I ever bothered reading about him was when he wrote about the so-called "Benedict Option."

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Lord have mercy.

And thanks be to God he and Julie are not sordidly inflicting themselves on the public ala Depp and Heard! I would think that whatever "happened" between them in 2013 is really none of our business.

Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
ACNA
Lord, have mercy.

Ever since we lost our baby, there's no poem in the world that touches me more than Cântico do Calvário ("The Song of Golgotha"), which is not about Christ, but a eulogy for a 3-month-old. This type of analogy dates back to St. Paul and it's Orthodox.

Rod Dreher became notorious for public displays of internet bullying, which would be coming for him anyway at this point, but now may God make him sanctify in this Golgotha, just like he blessed him in mine...
What kind of displays of internet bullying? I have been praying for him and his family

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
His enemies even exsit here, he a flawed human being , but the innuendo, the accusations by those here about his divorce , while never knowing the man is disgusting.

Pick up a prayer book for a change and pray, is this Orthodox to be kicking a brother in christ while he is down?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
I have no idea who he is, and feel badly for anyone who is going through the dissolvement of a marriage... however, I am struggling with the comparison of anything we can go through, to what Christ went through on Golgotha.

No matter the reason for the divorce, both parties are human and fallible... we are all guilty of something... but, Christ was completely innocent of anything and everything He was accused of. Therefore, the injustice of what He suffered is by far worse than anything we can go through.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
What kind of displays of internet bullying? I have been praying for him and his family
That a new one, whatever flaws Mr
Dreher has , bullying isnt one of them, these days bullying comes from the other side, with that said , prayers for Rod and his family, divorce is rough but for kids it can be very devastating, there needs to be time for healing , and hope the time away from communion for both Rod and his wife Julie can be a time to reflect on the flaws that lead to their divorce, and reconcile atleast as parents for the children, lord have mercy.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
After the crucifixion, he apparently resurrected and is spilling the beans on his family. Apparently they were mad at him he capitalized on his sister’s death the way he did. At least that’s what he’s implying that caused a big rift between him and the rest.
Where did you hear this?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I have no idea who he is, and feel badly for anyone who is going through the dissolvement of a marriage... however, I am struggling with the comparison of anything we can go through, to what Christ went through on Golgotha.

No matter the reason for the divorce, both parties are human and fallible... we are all guilty of something... but, Christ was completely innocent of anything and everything He was accused of. Therefore, the injustice of what He suffered is by far worse than anything we can go through.
In reading the article, I didn't get the impression that he was trying to compare himself to Christ. He was at Golgotha for Pascha and was crying and praying for the pain he is in. If you're going to cry out to God, the Church of the Holy Sepulture is probably a pretty good place to do it.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
In reading the article, I didn't get the impression that he was trying to compare himself to Christ. He was at Golgotha for Pascha and was crying and praying for the pain he is in. If you're going to cry out to God, the Church of the Holy Sepulture is probably a pretty good place to do it.
Well... the title of the post reads,
"“Tears at Golgotha”: Mr. Dreher likening his divorce to Christ’s crucifixion"

...and I disagree that we can compare anything in our lives to what Christ went through during His Crucifixion.

...and yes, I have been to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher... and there is nothing else in this world that compares to it.

WR-News

Reaction score

...and I disagree that we can compare anything in our lives to what Christ went through during His Crucifixion.

...and yes, I have been to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher... and there is nothing else in this world that compares to it.

The post's title is from Augustine717, so not something to be taken at face value.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
The post's title is from Augustine717, so not something to be taken at face value.
The bit in quotation marks is not the bit people take exception to. Don't be disingenuous.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
The bit in quotation marks is not the bit people take exception to. Don't be disingenuous.
Augustine717 was the one that wrote "Mr. Dreher likening his divorce to Christ’s crucifixion". In reading the article, I didn't get the sense that Mr. Dreher was attempting to liken his divorce to Christ's crucifixion, that was just a forumer making a clickbaity title.

WR-News

Reaction score
Augustine717 was the one that wrote "Mr. Dreher likening his divorce to Christ’s crucifixion". In reading the article, I didn't get the sense that Mr. Dreher was attempting to liken his divorce to Christ's crucifixion, that was just a forumer making a clickbaity title.
Exactly.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Just go to His blog and read the whole melidrama in context and see whether he’s couching it in the gospel narrative of XC passion and resurrection.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Just go to His blog and read the whole melidrama in context and see whether he’s couching it in the gospel narrative of XC passion and resurrection.
Your op is that Dreher is "likening his divorce to Christ's crucifixion." Perhaps the suffering he is experiencing is more than he has ever experienced before over someone he has loved for a long time. So there could be a drop of that. No sense in mocking suffering.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I hate Twitter.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Ignatius J. Reilly is not an aspirational character, and he's not a 20th century Quixote.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Your op is that Dreher is "likening his divorce to Christ's crucifixion." Perhaps the suffering he is experiencing is more than he has ever experienced before over someone he has loved for a long time. So there could be a drop of that. No sense in mocking suffering.
His blogging since then has been incredibly weird. Someone should take his computer away. There's the post he wrote about taking off his wedding ring and laying it at the actual foot of Golgotha. Then he took a photo of the ring on the spot and posted it. There's (almost) always tragedy in a family unraveling, but he seems to be milking it for profit. Pray for the man. He needs it.

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alexandrian Orthodox Church Abroad
Goodness he's dramatic...