• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

$100,000 damage to Greek Orthodox church in Columbus, Ohio

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
A vandal was apprehended by police while causing $100,000 worth of damage Saturday 26 May 2018 at the Annunciation Greek Orthodox cathedral in Columbus, Ohio (the town I grew up in). According to reports, "The items damaged included; a church pew, gospel stand, gospel book, vestment, altar candlesticks, tabernacle, "incensor & stand," processional fans, gospel cross and a $40,000 stain glass window."

Link to article: http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/man-charged-for-causing-100000-to-short-north-church

Link to police webcam video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5d8zo7UjE&feature=youtu.be

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.

Musicnerd88

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdioces
Lord have mercy.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Lord have mercy!

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lord, have mercy!

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Kyrie eleison.  That guy looks like he was high on something when the police got to him, note the reddish, puffy appearance of his face...

I hope the church has insurance and/or the perp has money.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
It's really sad. He didn't know what he was doing...
And it's more troublesome about the things he destroyed, than about money...

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Lord have mercy

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
Why would anybody do this? :(
Because they can.

I'm sure the items can be replaced although those items like the stain-glass window, cross, the censor, the fans are irreplaceable in the eyes of the congregation.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
scamandrius said:
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
Because they can.

I'm sure the items can be replaced although those items like the stain-glass window, cross, the censor, the fans are irreplaceable in the eyes of the congregation.
I think, with regards to that, the stained glass window and the Tabernacle (which was enormous) will be the hardest to replace (craftsmanship, cost, emotional value).

Thankfully, from what I've heard, the people are glad (a) no one was physically hurt, and (b) the guy will have a chance, God willing, to be helped.  Even if the primary cause was intoxication, the underlying darkness that came out needs to be addressed for his salvation.  May the Lord watch over him!

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Fr. George said:
I think, with regards to that, the stained glass window and the Tabernacle (which was enormous) will be the hardest to replace (craftsmanship, cost, emotional value).

Thankfully, from what I've heard, the people are glad (a) no one was physically hurt, and (b) the guy will have a chance, God willing, to be helped.  Even if the primary cause was intoxication, the underlying darkness that came out needs to be addressed for his salvation.  May the Lord watch over him!
Amen.

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
Because they bear a hate towards God.

Lord, have mercy.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
Fr. George said:
scamandrius said:
Isaiah53IsMessiah said:
Because they can.

This desecration took place on the eve of Holy Pentecost; a vivid reminder that there are other spirits--malevolent spirits--also at work in the world.

May we be on guard and on fire with the Holy Spirit.

Kyrie Eleison.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
JTLoganville said:
This desecration took place on the eve of Holy Pentecost; a vivid reminder that there are other spirits--malevolent spirits--also at work in the world.
I have an impression that such bad things (also attacks on Christians, churches, vide Egypt) happen especially on great feasts. It's obviosu that's something from eveil spirits, they try to show their power. However, we chant on some of such feasts "Who is so great as our God?" :)

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
I read this earlier and watched the videos ~ it is hard to find words that are not said in anger ```