• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

150,000 more converts in Guatemala

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/features/150000_converts_in_guatemala

"We talk with Fr. Peter Jackson, newly appointed OCMC missionary to Guatemala following the mass conversion of 150,000 people into the Orthodox Church."

So that's 650,000 Orthodox or more in Guatemala now. Wow... They're on the way to passing the United States.

BTRAKAS

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glory to our God!

Wikipedia doesn't mention anything about Orthodoxy in Guatemala.  It notes that only 40% of the population affiliates with some religion.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Glory to God!  May they be a beacon for Central America and all Spanish-speaking countries.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Basil 320 said:
Glory to our God!

Wikipedia doesn't mention anything about Orthodoxy in Guatemala.  It notes that only 40% of the population affiliates with some religion.
Orthodoxy still only makes up about 4% of the population in Guatemala with the 150k and 500k groups that have been brought in.

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
Sirach said:
Some more background on Father Giron:

Guatemalan Priest's Daring Crusade
Division in the Guatemalan Catholic Church
SVOTS Biography of Father Giron

It's interesting to hear on AFR from some who has actually met Fr. Giron.  Given what Father Jackson said in the interview that "they’re basically just following him wherever he goes" I hope this is not a personality cult. 
Your concern is understandable.  It was to a large degree a personality cult.  But the point is that Fr. Giron did not want it to remain that way.  Before he dies, he wants to make sure that all are brought to port (Holy Orthodoxy).  The Church in the early period largely grew due to personality cults, and the Apostles had to do the same thing that Fr. Giron is doing ("do not say I am of Paul or Apollo or Cephas").  They are attracted to the Spirit working in him, and it is his job to show them that they are attracted to the Holy Spirit, the Navigator of the Church, not to him, and this he is doing.  Glory to God. 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
How many jurisdictions are operating in Guatemala?  I think the Syrian Orthodox have made some inroads there, I think the Antiochians are there, and the EP...who else? 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
How many jurisdictions are operating in Guatemala?  I think the Syrian Orthodox have made some inroads there, I think the Antiochians are there, and the EP...who else? 
That's pretty much it.  ROCOR hasn't made it there, AFAIK.