• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

1967 the Summer of Love

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
This summer is the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love.
Rolling Stone magazine had an informative retrospective in July.

I know some of us here are old enough, so...

What were you doing during the Summer of Love?

I was 12 and in my first band - we played at the monthly pool parties at the local swimming pool, which is also where we spent most summer days when we weren't out riding our bikes somewhere or building forts in the woods.

1967 was also a great year for music. Guitar Player magazine recently had a feature on all the pivotal albums that were released that year - amazing!

Aristibule

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROCOR - WRITE
I didn't exist yet - as my father was in Vietnam getting pumped full of shrapnel, and trying to stuff his buddies' insides back in, and my mother hadn't met him - as she had just come to the States from West Africa.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
:-[ ;D My parents were about 7, sorry.

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Aristibule said:
I didn't exist yet - as my father was in Vietnam getting pumped full of shrapnel, and trying to stuff his buddies' insides back in, and my mother hadn't met him - as she had just come to the States from West Africa.
Growing up in the shadow of the Viet Nam war was highly impacting in and of itself. I barely escaped being there. I was classified 1A and had a draft lottery # of 8 (even late in the war they were still taking guys up to the low 140's in terms of lottery #'s) when I turned 18 in 1973. Fortunately, by then the POW's were home (1972) and they were pulling troops out and not drafting by '73.

Heorhij

Merarches
Reaction score
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
I was a happy-go-lucky 9.5-y.o. boy living with my scientist parents in Ukraine (back then part of the USSR). That particular summer, if I recall correctly, I traveled with my mom and dad to Eupatoria (a small resort town on the western coast of the Crimea peninsula), and enjoyed swimming in the warm waters of the Black Sea, boating, getting suntan, building sand castles and reading Jules Verne and Fenimor Cooper. At that time, I wasn't even aware of the existence of hippies, of the Flower Children culture, etc. I learned about all that stuff later, when I was probably 14-15.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
hmmm.  I was 11 and into Star Trek and reading Science Fiction and riding my bike to the library and around Great Falls Montana.

Ebor

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
My parents were both young children. I appeared about 17 years later.

However, I did once consider protesting the Vietnam War at a "Summer of Love" dance. Yeah, I was a nerd. Anyway, my friends and I decided to watch The Italian Job instead. Better use of our time.

Thomas

Archon
Reaction score
I was sixteen, stayed with my grandparents that summer, was allowed the use of my grandfather's truck, dated my first girlfriend, and went skating every night at the local skating ring to the tune of When You Go to San Francisco (Wear a flower in your hair)---I still get a warm feeling when I hear that song--- and earned a whopping $2.38 an hour working at my grandfather's  full service Texaco gas station.

Thomas

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
I was not conceived of yet.  My parents however were both 20 and were almost married.  I don't like to think that they ever participated in hippie events such as the summer of love.  So far, they've given me slight hints that they may have indulged a little.  I really hope not. :-[

ytterbiumanalyst said:
Anyway, my friends and I decided to watch The Italian Job instead. Better use of our time.
I notice you said a better use of time as opposed to a good use of time.  I don't much care for that movie.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
I was 7 and listening to the Mamas& the Papas, the Cowsills the Archies etc...I was a little underage hippie wannabe

James

Archon
Reaction score
A 16 year old Bostonian transplant that landed in So. Cal with all them Californian Girls... ;) that accent of mine was gold, while it lasted  ::)

james

Psalti Boy

High Elder
Reaction score
I was 15 and had a garage band in Brooklyn.  We played the churches, synogogues and at the PAL field.  We had a chance at cutting a demo for the then ATCO Records but it never happened.  We broke up because 2 of the members insisted on drug abuse.  Sniffin' glue, Carbona, paint and smokin' pot.

Two years later my senior trip was to San Antonio for basic training and spent 4 years in the Air Force.

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Thomas said:
I was sixteen, stayed with my grandparents that summer, was allowed the use of my grandfather's truck, dated my first girlfriend, and went skating every night at the local skating ring to the tune of When You Go to San Francisco (Wear a flower in your hair)---I still get a warm feeling when I hear that song--- and earned a whopping $2.38 an hour working at my grandfather's  full service Texaco gas station.

Thomas
Yeah, but for two hour's work you probably were able to fill the gas tank of that truck!

James

Archon
Reaction score
Brother Aiden,

Gas was about 20 cents a gallon, so he had enough $ for a couple of RC cola's & moon pies + ...

james

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
My parents were married two years later.  18 months into their marriage, I came along, kicking and screaming.

Thomas

Archon
Reaction score
BrotherAidan said:
Yeah, but for two hour's work you probably were able to fill the gas tank of that truck!
Actually at 14 cents a gallon that was not hard.

Thomas

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
my memeory is failing me. I thought it had gone up to about 42 cents a gallon by then. But I gues that wasn't until about 1971, when I started driving!

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
BrotherAidan said:
my memeory is failing me. I thought it had gone up to about 42 cents a gallon by then. But I gues that wasn't until about 1971, when I started driving!
When I started driving, it was 85 cents a gallon. That was the summer of 1999.

EofK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
My parents were busy raising their first two kids and complaining about all the hippies.  I came 12 years later.  :)

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
BrotherAidan said:
Mine is too. Summer of '67:
Gasoline for my '60 Chevy Impala was 27.9 cents per gal. (it would run on anything).
Summer school between my high school junior and senior years so I could have an easy and fun senior year (already accepted to college, conditional on grade maintenance).
Preferred the Temptations to the Beatles.
Drank gallons of 7-Eleven Slurpees.
Got paid $1.75/hour working for dad ("...and you should be glad I pay you at all with all the gas you charge and soft drinks you buy").
First woes from the wiles of women just a few short weeks away.
<sigh>Such a long time ago...

Tamara

Archon
Reaction score
Αριστοκλής said:
Mine is too. Summer of '67:
Gasoline for my '60 Chevy Impala was 27.9 cents per gal. (it would run on anything).
Summer school between my high school junior and senior years so I could have an easy and fun senior year (already accepted to college, conditional on grade maintenance).
Preferred the Temptations to the Beatles.
Drank gallons of 7-Eleven Slurpees.
Got paid $1.75/hour working for dad ("...and you should be glad I pay you at all with all the gas you charge and soft drinks you buy").
First woes from the wiles of women just a few short weeks away.
<sigh>Such a long time ago...
I was little first grader who loved to play with her dolls. My east coast parents were afraid of those "dirty hippies" who seemed to be everywhere. We had just moved from Washington DC and had left all of our clean-cut friends who were in the military or who worked for the government. It was culture shock to leave crew cuts for the long mangy hair and beards of the Northern California variety. If I really want to get a rise out of my husband all I have to do is sing the song, "If you are going to San Francisco...be sure to wear some flowers in your hair..."  :D He has a hippy aversion problem. Most gen xer's have that phobia. Probably because we have so many aging hippies in academics and government in our neck of the woods still trying to work their voodoo magic through social engineering :p . And that one town in the east bay is still referred to as the People's Republic of Berkeley or more affectionately known as Bezerkley. :D