• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

30th March for Life - Washington, D.C.

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:00:35 -0500
Subject: 30th March for Life--Wash., D.C.

WASHINGTON, DC [OCA Communications] -- His Beatitude, Metropolitan
Herman, Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, will address
thousands of pro-life marchers at the annual March for Life here on
Wednesday, January 22, 2003.

A well-known spokesman for the rights of the unborn and the sanctity of
life, Metropolitan Herman has participated in the annual march for many
years.

According to representatives of the national Orthodox Christians For
Life [OCL], Orthodox Christian marchers will gather under the
prominently displayed OCL banner at the Washington Monument at 11:00
a.m. At noon, Metropolitan Herman will address marchers from across the
US during a formal program at the site. At 1:00 p.m., marchers will make
their way to the US Supreme Court, where Metropolitan Herman will offer
memorial prayers for the millions of innocent children who lost their
lives to abortion since the Roe v. Wade decision legalized abortion on
demand thirty years ago.

Later the same day, Metropolitan Herman also will be seated on the dais
and deliver the benediction at the annual Rose Dinner at the Hyatt
Regency North West at 7:00 p.m. The dinner gathers pro-life leaders from
around the country and throughout the world.

On Tuesday, January 21, the eve of the march, Metropolitan Herman will
celebrate a Service of Thanksgiving at Saint Nicholas Cathedral, 3500
Massachusetts Ave. NW, at 6:00 p.m. In addition to offering petitions
for abortion victims and the return to public policy which acknowledges
the sanctity of all human life, Metropolitan Herman will meet with
pro-life activists from around the country. It is anticipated that over
1000 Orthodox Christian hierarchs, clergy, seminarians, and laity will
be present for this year's march.

Last minute ticket information for the Rose Dinner may be obtained by
contacting the Very Rev. John Kowalczyk at 570/876-1241 or Deacon John
Protopapas of Orthodox Christians For Life at 631/271-4408.

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
I’ve been on three DC Marches so I’ve paid my dues, plus my views on abortion are clear on my site.

As I view the Web I see the only Orthodox churches in the US that have anything at all about the March are the OCA and ACROD.

The OCA were there again. Jolly good. What about GOA (the biggest Orthodox group in the US) and ROCOR? If not, why not?

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Old Calendarist
Serge,

I'm sorry to disagree but three attendances at the March for Life does not pay anyone's dues. Abortion is a battle that must be fought actively until the end. If eveyone were only "required" to attend so many March for Lifes, or do so many of such-and-such other events, then the movement would quickly fizzle. Your participation in the March for Life is great and your website is a witness, but that doesn't give you a ticket to sit back and let the chips fall.

I'm not trying to judge you (I couldn't make it to the March this year myself, although I have gone three times) but rather encourage you and anyone else with a similar feeling to keep fighting the good fight and not give in to the tempation to think one's work on earth is done. We can win the abortion battle, but of course then there will be some other evil that will need combating. Christian life is a lot like military service in that constant vigilance is necessary!

In Christ,

anastasios

JoeS

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you think that we've past the high point of abortions in this country, just wait until the expected parents are able to tell whether or not the fetus will be homosexual or not. DNA research has reached a point where it wont be too long before this gene is detectable in the pre-born. They are already aborting for downsyndrom<<sp?>>. This is just a warning. ::)

JoeS

anastasios said:
Serge,

I'm sorry to disagree but three attendances at the March for Life does not pay anyone's dues. Abortion is a battle that must be fought actively until the end. If eveyone were only "required" to attend so many March for Lifes, or do so many of such-and-such other events, then the movement would quickly fizzle. Your participation in the March for Life is great and your website is a witness, but that doesn't give you a ticket to sit back and let the chips fall.

I'm not trying to judge you (I couldn't make it to the March this year myself, although I have gone three times) but rather encourage you and anyone else with a similar feeling to keep fighting the good fight and not give in to the tempation to think one's work on earth is done. We can win the abortion battle, but of course then there will be some other evil that will need combating. Christian life is a lot like military service in that constant vigilance is necessary!

In Christ,

anastasios

Amadeus

Elder
Reaction score
Dear anastasios:

I think you are misreading the message Serge wants to put through our heads: that only 2 jurisdictions representing the Orthodox Church are seen participating in the annual "March for Life."

This event has ceased to be a "Catholic thing;" it has been joined in by numerous Christian groups. Serge laments the fact that other Orthodox jurisdictions, of Apostolic Christianity at that, are conspicuously absent from the gatherings.

Indeed, he has "done his dues," as an Orthodox, compared to the rest of American Orthodoxy as an active participant in 3 previous marches and his continuing apostolate in this regard via the Internet.

AmdG

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
[I think you are misreading the message Serge wants to put through our heads: that only 2 jurisdictions representing the Orthodox Church are seen participating in the annual "March for Life."]

I think you are right Amadeus. Where is Metropolitan Phillip and the Greek Metropolitans?
I missed it but I understand that Metropolitan Herman (OCA) was interviewed and spoke for about 15 minutes on EWTN around noon time. He wrote a letter regarding the SIN OF ABORTION which was read by our priest after the Liturgy. It was one of the most beautiful and profound letters on the subject I have ever heard. It brought me to tears.

I am poud that I am a member of the OCA because of things like this. But I am saddened by the fact that only two Orthodox Catholic jurisdictions are there. For Shame!

Orthodoc

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Orthodoc,

It would be so wonderful if the Orthodox in DC could have something like the Vigil Mass at the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, which is by any standards an awesome sight. The entire place is PACKED with people. The majority are young adults, as well, which brings so much hope that the fight for the unborn is far from over and we will win it, in God's good time. The procession of well over 500 concelebrating priests and darn near 100 bishops is just plain astounding. I've never seen the Basilica so full as last night, and I've served Mass there on a number of occasions for a wide array of events. Every year, the March for Life Vigil Mass gets larger and larger. Bishop Bevilacqua joked that next year, they'll have to expand the walls to fit all the people in, a jest that's not far from the truth!

Imagine the presence the entire Orthodox communion could muster, filling in the OCA Cathedral (which I believe is the largest ORthodox Church structure in DC, but I may be wrong)! What a witness that would be! While our doctrinal differences are very important, the right to be born is much more so! United with Christ, the culture of death cannot stand a chance!

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Old Calendarist
Dear in Christ,

Oh, on that point I totally agree with Serge, in that corporately where ARE the Orthodox bishops besides the two present?

If I misunderstood Serge's post then I apologize to him but the way it is worded seems to suggest that since he has gone three times, he no longer needs to go, whereas I am simply pointing out that "it ain't over 'till it's over."

The Greek Church likes to hand out awards to pro-abort politicians but where is its pro-life award?

In Christ,

anastasios

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
[Imagine the presence the entire Orthodox communion could muster, filling in the OCA Cathedral (which I believe is the largest ORthodox Church structure in DC, but I may be wrong)! What a witness that would be! While our doctrinal differences are very important, the right to be born is much more so! United with Christ, the culture of death cannot stand a chance!]

Schultz: There are services being held in the OCA Cathedral. See Metropolitan Hermans schedule below.

Unfortunatley, the OCA Cathedral is not the largest Orthodox Catholic edifice in Washington. It would have been nicer if the services could have been held in the Greek Orthodox Church just right up the block which could hold more.

Metropolitan Hermans schedule:

According to representatives of the national Orthodox Christians For Life [OCL], Orthodox Christian marchers will gather under the prominently displayed OCL banner at the Washington Monument at 11:00 a.m. At noon, Metropolitan Herman will address marchers from across the US during a formal program at the site. At 1:00 p.m., marchers will make their way to the US Supreme Court, where Metropolitan Herman will offer memorial prayers for the millions of innocent children who lost their lives to abortion since the Roe v. Wade decision legalized abortion on demand thirty years ago.

Later the same day, Metropolitan Herman also will be seated on the dais and deliver the benediction at the annual Rose Dinner at the Hyatt Regency North West at 7:00 p.m. The dinner gathers pro-life leaders from around the country and throughout the world.

On Tuesday, January 21, the eve of the march, Metropolitan Herman will celebrate a Service of Thanksgiving at Saint Nicholas Cathedral, 3500 Massachusetts Ave. NW, at 6:00 p.m. In addition to offering petitions for abortion victims and the return to public policy which acknowledges the sanctity of all human life, Metropolitan Herman will meet with pro-life activists from around the country. It is anticipated that over 1000 Orthodox Christian hierarchs, clergy, seminarians, and laity will be present for this year's march.

Last minute ticket information for the Rose Dinner may be obtained by contacting the Very Rev. John Kowalczyk at 570/876-1241 or Deacon John Protopapas of Orthodox Christians For Life at 631/271-4408.

Orthodoc

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
[Oh, on that point I totally agree with Serge, in that corporately where ARE the Orthodox bishops besides the two present?]

Actually there were three. The same three that go every year - Metropolitan Herman (OCA), Bishop Job (OCA), and metropolitan Nicholas (ACROD).

Orthodoc

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
It was almost a rhetorical question as I already have answered it elsewhere here: the only two official Orthodox groups who act like they give a damn about abortion are the OCA and ACROD, which generations ago were Catholic. Unofficially one might add converts in other groups such as the Antiochian.

So why aren’t the others there?

I can think of three reasons: selling out to the secular world, a turning inward instead of activism and parochialism/ethnocentrism.

The first is common: witness the terrible witness of Greek-Americans in politics. Ethnic born Orthodox who are ‘pro-choice’. The second, ‘They’re only going to do it anyway’, can be seen in places such as ROCOR (based on conversations I’ve had with some of its members): society is going to hell in a handbasket anyway so all the Church can do is concentrate on the salvation of its members. Dustin might think I’m guilty of this, but a defence is to say that the continued witness of my site isn’t acquiescence. I will admit it has affected my involvement in marching, though. Been there, done that, and the places in question won’t stop doing abortions. (By ‘I’ve paid my dues’ I meant I haven’t done NOTHING like some of these groups seem to be doing.) Finally, like I’ve written before, I suspect a kind of parochialism/ethnocentrism: people don’t care because it’s not about name-the-ethnic-group babies. (OK, ROCOR and MP: what about all the abortions in Russia?)

sinjinsmythe

High Elder
Reaction score
Serge said:
I can think of three reasons: selling out to the secular world, a turning inward instead of activism and parochialism/ethnocentrism.

The first is common: witness the terrible witness of Greek-Americans in politics. Ethnic born Orthodox who are ‘pro-choice’. The second, ‘They’re only going to do it anyway’, can be seen in places such as ROCOR (based on conversations I’ve had with some of its members): society is going to hell in a handbasket anyway so all the Church can do is concentrate on the salvation of its members. Dustin might think I’m guilty of this, but a defence is to say that the continued witness of my site isn’t acquiescence. I will admit it has affected my involvement in marching, though. Been there, done that, and the places in question won’t stop doing abortions. (By ‘I’ve paid my dues’ I meant I haven’t done NOTHING like some of these groups seem to be doing.) Finally, like I’ve written before, I suspect a kind of parochialism/ethnocentrism: people don’t care because it’s not about name-the-ethnic-group babies. (OK, ROCOR and MP: what about all the abortions in Russia?)
Serge, there is a lot of abortion going on in Russia and the other eastern block countries. I think the GOA is more interested at times of preserving Greek culture in the US rather than preserving Orthodox in the US. It suprises that ROCOR members would give an answer like that. Especially, since the consider themselves to be the preservers of Holy Orthodoxy....they criticize the EP for watering down Orthodoxy yet they do nothing to reduce the evil in the world. It would be nice if the GOA, OCA, AOA, ROCOR, all got together to provide an abortion alternative such as an orphanage or adoption service.

As an interesting aside, there was a news article detailing how Hispanics have passed blacks as the largest ethnic group in the US. Granted illegal immigration plays a big part, but a dirty little secret is that a lot of black babies have been aborted. I suspect this factor combined with illegal immigration have made blacks number three on the list.

H

Hypo-Ortho

sinjinsmythe said:
By the way, what does ACROD stand for?
ACROD=the Johnstown, PA-based American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Diocese of the USA under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Metropolitan NICHOLAS is the current Ruling Bishop.

Hypo-Ortho

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Old Calendarist
I'd say that the folks posting in this thread are 100 times more active in pro-life than the average Joe, but we need to focus on bringing the average Joe into the pro-life movement.

While prolife marching may not shut down abortuaries, it can save lives. Our Church's praying in front of abortuaries led to two of the nurses at the abortuary quitting (they came up to our priest and told him that our witness led them to realize they were wrong). Around 20 girls in the past 5 years have come up to us and said that our being there made them change their minds. And I have read of the rare case where an abortuary was shut down because the public upon finding out what it was rallied against it (probably in a small town, though).

As far as a website, while I appreciate a web presence, it just cannot be argued that a website is the same thing as human interaction. The internet is a virtual reality. Women who are hurting and our culture at large will not be influenced much by a computer, but rather by human contact. I see the larger problem in that our entire society is becoming isolated to computers. We (I include myself at the top of the list as I am probably most guilty of this) sit in front of our computers and surf but don't go out and DO. An internet apostolate is only a start--I began this website to help Orthodoxy but I don't consider it active until I go out of my house and have contact. Our religion is a social religion where we meet others. If someone for whatever personal reason cannot march, I would suggest as an alternative to organize one's parish's trip to a March, call your local representative or Senator, write letters to the editor of your paper, organize pro-life prayer in the parish, distribute pro-life literature, etc.

I think that Serge and I have a partially different worldview, though. I don't believe that the world is going to hell in a handbasket. I think that Christians can fight the good fight and make a change. I believe in a cyclical history: we go through the same realities multiple times. Our culture is much like the Roman hedonistic culture. But if we live in Christ and actively go out and do do do do do! then we can make a difference and make the society Christian again. There will be a tribulation according to the Bible but how do we know this is not our tribulation? How do we not know that this IS the worst it will get, and that it is our call to reChristianize this nation? In fact, I believe that IS our calling.

In Christ,

anastasios

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JoeS said:
snip

They are already aborting for downsyndrom<<sp?>>. This is just a warning. ::)

JoeS

[
Down's Syndrome aka Trisomy 21 and there are other medical conditions along with it that people say it would be better for the child to not be born then live with. :(

Then there are people who don't like the sex of the child (girls mostly) and abort.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." J.R.R. Tolkien- The Fellowship of the Ring "The Shadow of the Past"

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
[It would be nice if the GOA, OCA, AOA, ROCOR, all got together to provide an abortion alternative such as an orphanage or adoption service. ]

It sure would. however, the OCA does have adoption services. We have the daughter of one of our parishioners who just came back from Russia with a pair of 6 month old male twins (Serge & Dimitri) last month. They also have a three year old adopted daughter they adopted from an orphange in Russia. There is also another parishioner who has a granddaughter who was adopted from Russia. All four children were adopted though the auspices of the OCA.

Orthodoc

H

Hypo-Ortho

Orthodoc said:
[Oh, on that point I totally agree with Serge, in that corporately where ARE the Orthodox bishops besides the two present?]

Actually there were three. The same three that go every year - Metropolitan Herman (OCA), Bishop Job (OCA), and metropolitan Nicholas (ACROD).

Orthodoc
This year, according to the official OCA website which I just checked, three OCA hierarchs actively participated in the March for Life: His Beatitude, Metropolitan HERMAN, Primate of the OCA; His Grace, Bishop JOB of Chicago and the Midwest; and His Grace, Bishop NIKON of Baltimore, Auxiliary to the Metropolitan. I don't see His Eminence, Metropolitan NICHOLAS of ACROD in the photos. Was he absent this year?

Bishop NIKON, who is the first Albanian-American Orthodox consecrated to the episcopacy, is also the second most junior hierarch in the OCA and has no "Greek Catholic" ties in his Orthodox heritage.

Hypo-Ortho

byzrubush

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.pio.urbe.it
As a member of anastasios's church in NC, I cannot say how important praying at abortuaries is. Our parish does it every Saturday at an abortuary down the road and has gotten the kids of the parish involved to organize it. The mission for us is threefold. 1) Pray for an end to abortion. 2) Pray for the souls of the departed children and their mothers. 3) Pray for an end to abortion. I cannot stress 1 and 3 enough. We all know that mystics who devote their lives to prayer do much more good for the kingdom of God than the politicians. So why not us?

In Christ,

Matthew, who has not done enough to end abortion

H

Hypo-Ortho

Serge said:
<snip>
As I view the Web I see the only Orthodox churches in the US that have anything at all about the March are the OCA and ACROD.

The OCA were there again. Jolly good. What about GOA (the biggest Orthodox group in the US) and ROCOR? If not, why not?
As I read on another website, perhaps the hierarchs of these other jurisdictions are not social activists and had spent a few hours of the day in praying for the victims of the abortionists and the end of abortion (but we'll never know, so that could be a copout). But, "Ora et Labora," as St. Benedict of Nursia wrote, so why couldn't the GOA, ROCOR, et al., hierarchs have *both* prayed AND marched? Retired Archbishop Iakovos of the GOA marched in the Selma civil rights marches, after all! It seems the OCA hierarchs are unafraid to be both pray-ers and marchers in the pro-life cause. Kudos to them and the powerful example they set for their faithful.

Hypo-Ortho

Neo Tobiah

Reaction score
Did that person on the other website mention anything about judging hierarchs?

H

Hypo-Ortho

Neo Tobiah said:
Did that person on the other website mention anything about judging hierarchs?
He did. Yes, he did. I'm not judging, just making an observation.

Hypo-Ortho

Neo Tobiah

Reaction score
Ok, fair enough. It's true that there's a difference.

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
[I don't see His Eminence, Metropolitan NICHOLAS of ACROD in the photos. Was he absent this year?]

According to a post in another discussion group it seems he was. But since he has been there so many other times there must have been a valid reason.

Orthodoc

H

Hypo-Ortho

Orthodoc said:
[I don't see His Eminence, Metropolitan NICHOLAS of ACROD in the photos. Was he absent this year?]

According to a post in another discussion group it seems he was. But since he has been there so many other times there must have been a valid reason.

Orthodoc
In that case, to be fair to all, we should mention that Metropolitan MAXIMOS, the Greek Orthodox Bishop of Pittsburgh, did take part in at least one of the Marches for Life several years ago.

Hypo-Ortho

Orthodoc

Archon
Reaction score
In that case, to be fair to all, we should mention that Metropolitan MAXIMOS, the Greek Orthodox Bishop of Pittsburgh, did take part in at least one of the Marches for Life several years ago.

Hypo-Ortho

======

Good for him! Thats great to hear!

Orthodoc

JoeS

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anastasios,

I agree with your last post. We cant sit idoly by and not atleast make an effort to change things. The March for Life is but one way of doing this. The March for Life lets the nation know that there are alternatives to abortion. Prayer demonstrations before these so-called Womens health centers is proving to be an effective method of winning the hearts and minds of those who would have chosen death over life. Another way, as was previously mentioned, is to provide free clinical help and a free place to stay during the pregnancy. I think it was Bishop Fulton Sheen who said (and I paraphrase) "... no pastor in America should condemn abortion unless he is providing a free alternative to it". But it will need to take a combined effort of the OCA, Antiochians, and Greeks to pull this off. Has any meeting of the minds (Hierarchy) ever been done to address this situation? ???

JoeS

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Metropolitan Maximos, a nice man by all accounts AFAIK, seems to be the exception that proves the rule, and everybody here seems to be proving my point.

So, who showed up?

Why, the OCA! And, er, the OCA, and, uh, the OCA...

sinjinsmythe

High Elder
Reaction score
Serge said:
Metropolitan Maximos, a nice man by all accounts AFAIK, seems to be the exception that proves the rule, and everybody here seems to be proving my point.

So, who showed up?

Why, the OCA! And, er, the OCA, and, uh, the OCA...
Serge, some Orthodox churches are more interested in serving ethnicity than standing up for the faith.

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Finally, like I’ve written before, I suspect a kind of parochialism/ethnocentrism: people don’t care because it’s not about name-the-ethnic-group babies. (OK, ROCOR and MP: what about all the abortions in Russia?)
That doesn't hold up though. Most Antiochians are former conservitive protestants or Latins so by your reasoning they should be very active in the pro-life movement. I am for giving credit where credit is due - the good leadership of OCA bishops / poor cases of leadership elsewhere. Also I think it should be noted not all are called to the active form of protest, some are called to silent prayer in this life.

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Serge, some Orthodox churches are more interested in serving ethnicity than standing up for the faith.
Exactly. :(

Most Antiochians are former conservative protestants or Latins so by your reasoning they should be very active in the pro-life movement.
The converts often are — I’ve met some marching. But where are the ethnics, including the bishops? My guess is about 99% of these converts are conservative former Protestants.

surferuke

Reaction score
Website
www.uocofusa.org
It is sad some (most?) of our heirarchy wasn't there. Maybe we should consider writing letters to our different Bishops asking for their continued support on the Life subject.

I think I will write Vladyka Antony sometime this week......

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
But where are the ethnics, including the bishops? My guess is about 99% of these converts are conservative former Protestants.
I do know the monastics care (although they are not all ethnics), but believe they make a greater difference in their praying than active protest. Don't get me wrong, I agree it is deplorable that there is so little emphasis on this issue (especially since I am former RCC and am very used to this being the social issue). I also think it is not a good thing for converts to come in and say the various ethnic groups have it all wrong. Despite the bad parts of the GOA, it does have monastics, which is a sine of health.