• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

400,000 of Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims flee to Bangladesh in recent weeks

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
400,000 of Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims flee to Bangladesh in recent weeks

Families fleeing with just the clothes on their backs; tearful children baring famished bellies; the able carrying the injured, the weak, the old -- these are scenes all too familiar in a world with an unprecedented 65.6 million people forcibly displaced from their homes by war, violence and persecution. But the name of one group, facing what the United Nations calls a "textbook example of ethnic cleansing," is perhaps not as familiar.

They are the Rohingya, a mostly Muslim ethnic group fleeing their villages in Myanmar to escape persecution, inter-communal violence and an ongoing conflict between rebels and government forces. Although Rohingya Muslims have faced oppression and violence in the predominately Buddhist country for decades, tensions have spiraled in the past year, especially since Aug. 25 when Rohingya Muslim insurgents known as the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army launched a coordinated attack on Burmese authorities.

Myanmar's retaliation has been brutal -- a violent crackdown on all Rohingya with allegations of killings, rape, shelling and widespread arson that the Human Rights Watch said altogether "bear the hallmarks of ethnic cleansing." Since then, up to 400,000 Rohingya have fled Myanmar for neighboring Bangladesh, and thousands more arrive each day, according to UNICEF...

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Such a long-standing genocide. I remember hearing about the atrocities as a youth. And thus Buddhism returns to its ancient debut on the world stage, when it enforced its spread by the sword.

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
Asteriktos said:
Muslim insurgents known as the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army launched a coordinated attack on Burmese authorities.
Why "insurgents" and "coordinated attack"? Why not call it a spade a spade? This is nothing other than terrorism.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Such a long-standing genocide. I remember hearing about the atrocities as a youth. And thus Buddhism returns to its ancient debut on the world stage, when it enforced its spread by the sword.
so you don't know anything about the history of Buddhism either.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Lord have mercy!

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
ialmisry said:
Porter ODoran said:
Rather, I know too much. Not clear why so many here have a stake in preserving the Hollywood version of Buddhism. Must have to do with that whole "We're not ethnics here; we're American!" or British or Finnish mentality. Christianity is embarrassingly provincial -- we're cosmopolitan here!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Hindus Recount Massacre In Myanmar As Mass Graves Unearthed

..Eyewitnesses told AFP the bloodshed occurred outside their small Hindu village in Kha Maung Seik in northern Rakhine state, where Myanmar authorities have exhumed 45 corpses from mass graves since Sunday.

The army says the grim discoveries are evidence of a massacre by Muslim Rohingya terrorists on August 25, the same day the insurgents launched coordinated raids on police posts that unleashed a surge of communal bloodshed.

The military's sweeping reprisal has left hundreds dead and sent nearly half a million Rohingya refugees fleeing to Bangladesh, where they have described a campaign of army-led violence the UN says amounts to ethnic cleansing...

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.  :'(

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Porter ODoran said:
ialmisry said:
Porter ODoran said:
Rather, I know too much. Not clear why so many here have a stake in preserving the Hollywood version of Buddhism. Must have to do with that whole "We're not ethnics here; we're American!" or British or Finnish mentality. Christianity is embarrassingly provincial -- we're cosmopolitan here!
Even if one believes the most lurid legends about King Ashoka it would be quite a stretch to maintain that Buddhism enforced its spread by the sword, certainly to any exceptional degree compared to other religions.

As for the genocidal Myanmar monks and their followers, yes, they are very loud, very dangerous, and very evil. They have the support of the military regime which, despite reforms, remains more or less the big kid on the block. They do not, however, represent even the majority of Buddhists in Myanmar. The mainstream media are, as usual, exceptionally lazy and find it much easier to get sound bytes from Wirathu and ignore the rest of the country. Another thing a lot of people don't understand is that the entire country is awash in insurgencies, some burning slower than others. For instance, the Shan people have faced horrific treatment from the Burmese/ Myanmar authorities for a long time but no one cares because there isn't a Buddhist/ Muslim sectarian angle to exploit.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
The topic seems important, but I admit to being way out of my depth in evaluating the accuracy of the reporting. Should I stop posting news articles on this? I don't mean to be perpetuating misconceptions or falsehoods.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Asteriktos said:
The topic seems important, but I admit to being way out of my depth in evaluating the accuracy of the reporting. Should I stop posting news articles on this? I don't mean to be perpetuating misconceptions or falsehoods.
No keep informing us, as it's a very important under-reported long-term atrocity, and also as posting about it upsets Iconodule and Jetavan.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Porter ODoran said:
Asteriktos said:
No keep informing us, as it's a very important under-reported long-term atrocity, and also as posting about it upsets Iconodule and Jetavan.
You don't find genocide upsetting?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Iconodule said:
Porter ODoran said:
Asteriktos said:
You don't find genocide upsetting?
Not when he can use it for point-scoring, apparently.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Myanmar Rohingya crisis: Deal to allow return of Muslim refugees

Bangladesh has signed a deal with Myanmar to return hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims who fled a recent army crackdown. A statement from the Bangladesh foreign ministry said displaced people could begin to return within two months...

Aid agencies have raised concerns about the forcible return of the Rohingya unless their safety can be guaranteed...

More than 600,000 have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh...

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Asteriktos said:
Myanmar Rohingya crisis: Deal to allow return of Muslim refugees

Bangladesh has signed a deal with Myanmar to return hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims who fled a recent army crackdown. A statement from the Bangladesh foreign ministry said displaced people could begin to return within two months...

Aid agencies have raised concerns about the forcible return of the Rohingya unless their safety can be guaranteed...

More than 600,000 have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh...
Kyrie eleison

The thought of Bangladesh forcing these suffering people to return without their safety being ensured, in other words, forcing them to go to their deaths, is a possibility that is horrific to contemplate.  It is roughly on a par with the British refusing to evacuate or relieve Khartoum despite the pleading of General Gordon, or the Vichy government happily turning over lists of Jewish persons to the Nazi governent for “deportation” with the final destination being Treblinka.

Here is an interesting article on the role of Aung Sang Suu Kyi in the genocide:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/aung-san-suu-kyi-the-ignoble-laureate

I myself have no respect for the modern day Nobel Peace Prize; it is highly politicized, awarded by a panel of philosophers appointed by the Norwegian Parliament (Sweden appoints the scientists who award the scientific prizes IIRC, and Nobel himself was of course Swedish, but also a pan-Scandinavist), and many of their decisions have been laughable; I can’t think of an award they made that I agreed with since the very justifiable joint award to De Klerk and Mandela for ending Apartheid.

That said, lest we generalize against all Muslims, the 14th Dalai Lama, who is one of the few holders of a Nobel Peace Prize I agree with, and who has explicitly set out a plan whereby the brutal regime of his predeccessors in Tibet would not be repeated if somehow his supporters return to power, even going so far as to suggest that he might choose “not to reincarnate,” has condemned the violence against the Rohingya.  The Buddhist monks in Myanmar however are not part of his sect, and are actively stoking the seeds of this genocide.

Some Orthodox Christians I fear hold a romanticized vision of Buddhism; I was dismayed by the number of forum members who in another thread in this forum expressed a view that Buddhism would be their religion of choice if Christianity did not exist or was somehow proven false.  Buddhism and Islam aren’t really any different from each other; everyone is a sinner, and you have evil Buddhists and evil Muslims.  Even the ostensibly non-violent Jains practice ritual suicide by starving hemselves to deah in old age; it would be naive to think that all of these incidents are entirely voluntary and not the result of the bullying of elderly people.  So, everyone has blood on their hands, and both Buddhism and Islam have quite a lot of blood on their hands (recall Buddhist monasteries invented Kung Fu and many other forms of martial arts; Western Christianity also had warrior monks in the form of the Templars and Hospitalers, although as far as I know that most unpleasant tradition is absent from Eastern Christianity). 

What we have to do is pray for these people, and also pray that we ourselves might through the grace of our Lord be able to overcome the passions that have caused even Orthodox Christians to commit attrocities (the dreadful Pogroms of Russia, the massacres of Turks in the Greek Revolution, the heinous war crimes of the forces of Vlad Dracul, whose nickname “the Dragon” (Dracul in Romanian) was well deserved, and many other things, especially as we enter into the Advent Fast.  The only solution to tragedies of are sort is ceaseless prayer and repentance, combined with a skepticism about “living saints” such as Aung Sang Suu Kyi or even he relatively more benign figure of the Dalai Lama (who has renounced his political authority now, but who knows what he might have done had he come back into power in, say, the 1960s).

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Alpha60 said:
Some Orthodox Christians I fear hold a romanticized vision of Buddhism; I was dismayed by the number of forum members who in another thread in this forum expressed a view that Buddhism would be their religion of choice if Christianity did not exist or was somehow proven false.
Well, for one thing, you're committing the fallacy of supposing members of a forum named OrthodoxChristianity.net are pious Orthodox Christians. Call it the book-cover fallacy.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Porter ODoran said:
Alpha60 said:
Some Orthodox Christians I fear hold a romanticized vision of Buddhism; I was dismayed by the number of forum members who in another thread in this forum expressed a view that Buddhism would be their religion of choice if Christianity did not exist or was somehow proven false.
Well, for one thing, you're committing the fallacy of supposing members of a forum named OrthodoxChristianity.net are pious Orthodox Christians. Call it the book-cover fallacy.
Says one of the most frequent posters on this site. Physician heal thyself.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
I read that UNHCR is facilitating their return. Hopefully they can inhibit further atrocities.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Myanmar: Rohingya refugees recount massacre as five mass graves reported

Five mass graves have been reported by Rohingya Muslim refugees who say they survived attacks on their villages by the Myanmar military...

The UN special envoy on human rights in Myanmar, Yanghee Lee, said the military's operations against the Rohingya bear, "the hallmarks of a genocide". Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director for Human Rights Watch, said in a statement the graves "raise the stakes for the international community to demand accountability from Myanmar"...

Survivors said soldiers planned the August 27 attack, and tried to hide what they had done. They said the soldiers came to the slaughter armed not only with rifles, knives, rocket launchers and grenades, but also with shovels to dig pits and acid to burn away faces and hands so the bodies could not be recognised...

After more than 200 soldiers swept into Gu Dar Pyin about noon, Mohammad Sha, 37, a shop owner and farmer, said he hid in a grove of coconut trees near a river with more than 100 others. They watched as the military searched Muslim homes while dozens of Buddhist neighbours, their faces partly covered with scarves, loaded the possessions they found into about 10 pushcarts.

Then the soldiers burned down the homes, shooting anyone who couldn't flee, Mr Sha said. Buddhist villagers then moved through Gu Dar Pyin in a sort of mopping-up operation, using knives to cut the throats of the injured, survivors said, and pitching the young and the elderly into fires.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Man, what can be done about this? Situations like this just seem so impossible to me...

Lord have mercy.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
We really are that broken.  :'(

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
Perhaps we need to ask what causes the animosity between Rohingya and Buddhist communities and try to address that situation rather than just expressing sorrow at the displacement and genocide. As with any inter-ethnic conflict, there is a long history leading up to current events.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
This episode from last year, from Radio War Nerd, is an interview with Kayleigh Long, a journalist who's been working in and around Myanmar for a long time. I found it a helpful and fascinating introduction to the history and context.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
Iconodule said:
This episode from last year, from Radio War Nerd, is an interview with Kayleigh Long, a journalist who's been working in and around Myanmar for a long time. I found it a helpful and fascinating introduction to the history and context.
Thanks for the link! :)