• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

50th Anniversary Liturgy at St Vartan Cathedral - NYC

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed!  Thanks for sharing.  :D

Poemen

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the symbolism is behind the eye within a triangle, visible in the dome in the first seconds of the stream?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Poemen said:
Does anyone know what the symbolism is behind the eye within a triangle, visible in the dome in the first seconds of the stream?
It's called the Eye of Providence or the All-Seeing Eye. It represents the omniscience of the Trinity.

Some argue that it's inappropriate for a Church because it's also used by Freemasons and some Pagans. This post will likely spark a five page debate...

Poemen

Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Poemen said:
It's called the Eye of Providence or the All-Seeing Eye. It represents the omniscience of the Trinity.

Some argue that it's inappropriate for a Church because it's also used by Freemasons and some Pagans. This post will likely spark a five page debate...
I see, thanks! I had always associated it with Cao Dai which is why I was surprised to see it in the cathedral.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Poemen said:
Volnutt said:
Poemen said:

I see, thanks! I had always associated it with Cao Dai which is why I was surprised to see it in the cathedral.
No prob! :)

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Poemen said:
Volnutt said:
Poemen said:

Its also on one side of the Great Seal of the United States, and on the dollar bill.  A lot of Protestant churches in the US feature it as an interior decoration.