• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

5th of November

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Happy blowing up Parliament Day!

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I was going to watch the appropriate movie but it didn't come yet from the Netflix HQ. Oh well.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Other than being popularized by the movie, I fail to see how this is a positive thing to celebrate.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
88Devin12 said:
Other than being popularized by the movie, I fail to see how this is a positive thing to celebrate.
Yeah, it would have been better if they'd succeeded.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

It almost seems like celebrating the IRA.

Catholicism and Protestantism/Anglicanism are both bad for the UK & Ireland.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Now you're talking!
I dunno if anyone realizes that this is kind of like celebrating the Christian versions of Muslim groups.

I'm all for Irish independence, but violence isn't/wasn't the answer. Also, I'm not at all for Irish Catholicism. The Irish, Scottish & English belong back where they were before 1066, in the Orthodox Church.

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Sigh.  Oh really?

And a scholarly analysis by Professor Ronald Hutton (who has been mentioned in other threads) of the event postulates that if they had succeeded along with destroying a large part of the area and killing lots of other people it would have caused a backlash against English Roman Catholics that would have been a slaughter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/civil_war_revolution/gunpowder_hutton_01.shtml

A while back I watched a program from British TV in which they build a reproduction of the hall and got proper gunpowder to test if it would have blown up the old parliament building.  It did with terrific results, fortunately on a vacant military range in the north of England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gunpowder_Plot:_Exploding_The_Legend

Here's the first part on YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9oDBXLjQcE

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
88Devin12 said:
I think the British celebrate the conflagrative failure of the Fawkean inferno.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Now you're talking!
I dunno if anyone realizes that this is kind of like celebrating the Christian versions of Muslim groups.

I'm all for Irish independence, but violence isn't/wasn't the answer. Also, I'm not at all for Irish Catholicism. The Irish, Scottish & English belong back where they were before 1066, in the Orthodox Church.
They are closer now than they would be under English oppression.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Now you're talking!

Really? Last I knew, Irish Catholics weren't very religious anymore and Anglicans in England were getting very liberal. Doesn't sound like either is closer to Orthodoxy, rather both sound like they're much farther from it.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
88Devin12 said:
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Now you're talking!

Really? Last I knew, Irish Catholics weren't very religious anymore and Anglicans in England were getting very liberal. Doesn't sound like either is closer to Orthodoxy, rather both sound like they're much farther from it.
I've met plenty of liberal/nonreligious Orthodox.

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Now you're talking!

Just because one is baptized Orthodox doesn't mean anything, you know that right? I know the same can be applied for Irish Catholics and Anglicans, but most of their hierarchy seems to be infected.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Now you're talking!

Doesn't Ireland have like the highest church attendance in Europe and is like one of three countries in the universe without abortion on demand?

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
William said:
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Now you're talking!

Doesn't Ireland have like the highest church attendance in Europe and is like one of three countries in the universe without abortion on demand?
Maybe I shouldn't listen to the BBC. I was probably thinking of the wrong thing, they do have higher "religiousity" than most of Europe and higher attendance (even moreso than Greece, to their shame).
I do recall though some of the other problems in Ireland being common (like alcoholism, etc...) but the same could be said of some Orthodox nations.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
William said:
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
vamrat said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Now you're talking!

There are a good bit more than three, but yes, Ireland is one of them.

In Europe, it is illegal flat out in the Vatican and Malta.  There are restrictions (to varying degrees) in Ireland and Poland as well as the little-un's: Monaco, Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, the Faroes, and some more lenient restrictions in England, Finland, and Bjork-land.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
You say that as if it something bad.  Up the Republic!

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Punch said:
You say that as if it something bad.  Up the Republic!

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

The ends don't justify the means. Terrorism is never justified.

Ireland deserves independence, but you don't commit terrorism to get it.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think Scotland will actually be voting on independence in the upcoming decade.

We no longer live in the world of yesterday. I seriously doubt the UK would go into an all-out war over a part of it declaring independence.

You're all hypocrites in condemning Muslim terrorism and turning around and celebration terrorism by Christians.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
88Devin12 said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think Scotland will actually be voting on independence in the upcoming decade.

We no longer live in the world of yesterday. I seriously doubt the UK would go into an all-out war over a part of it declaring independence.

You're all hypocrites in condemning Muslim terrorism and turning around and celebration terrorism by Christians.

Never forget.

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Never forget.
A military operation on a military base conducted between two parties in a declared state of war?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
sheenj said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Never forget.
A military operation on a military base conducted between two parties in a declared state of war?
Think of all the civilian contractors and hapless laborers aboard that base, and then think to yourself, is this the kind of Republic I want to build?

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Don't forget as you go out and vote today (if you do) that this country was also founded by terrorism.  And yes, the end DOES justify the means in this world.  It always has, and always will.

88Devin12 said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Punch said:
Don't forget as you go out and vote today (if you do) that this country was also founded by terrorism.  And yes, the end DOES justify the means in this world.  It always has, and always will.

88Devin12 said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

Guerrilla warfare =/= Terrorism. There is a difference.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
sheenj said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

I would agree.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
sheenj said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Punch said:

88Devin12 said:
Iconodule said:
88Devin12 said:
Why is that?

I would agree.
Shooting officers is not very gentlemanly and was abhorrent in the mores of the time...of course it didn't stop the Brits doing it to the Crapauds a couple decades later...

Also, the majority of the IRA/PROVO attacks were on British military and RUC forces.  Acts such as the Omagh bombing were aberrations and in this specific instance was condemned by the mainstream Provisional IRA and the political branch Sinn Fein.  

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Jetavan said:
Death Stars can never hold their liquor.
That's not a fart.  That's a space station exploding!