• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

9 Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

http://www.christianpost.com/news/9-unbiblical-statements-christians-believe-158359/

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I disagree with about half of their 'corrections,' but then some of those are due to the subject matter being a lot more complicated than can be cleared up in 4 or 5 statements. Most of them could be argued either for or against, depending on what you mean, what terms precisely are being used, what context, etc.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
#3 Does not seem unbiblical.

And why the OP thought that Baptist preaching worth of posting?

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
This is NOT Christian News.  It is going to take a magic carpet ride to a more appropriate Forum.

-Father Giryus
General For Moderator and Assistant Thread Traffic Controller

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I like all of them and all have truthiness, especially in light of Benjamin Franklin, John Wesley...(fill in the blank)

Also, we should all stop at one point in reading The Bible, not listen to others more erudite, and then build upon that sole scripture a whole church.

Kind of like an alien planet finds 12 seconds of an old Mickey Mouse cartoon, runs it and then constructs our whole civilization upon that alone.

Works for 33,000 others, why not YOU?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Adela said:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/9-unbiblical-statements-christians-believe-158359/
Words of wisdom from the man who's currently presiding over the death spiral of the Southern Baptist Missionary Boards.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I've only made it to #2, God wants me to be happy.

I was happy this evening because this morning my back hurt so bad from working that I had to sit down to pull on my clothes.

And then had to rush to return the rental generator to not pay the extra fee, and meet the inspector on time, 9AM sharp.

The check in lady for the generator appeared to be crippled and barely able to walk (I was hoping for a robust man who would sweep it out from the vehicle for me), but somehow my back held out enough to haul the the generator by hand and she checked me in and out in 3.5 minutes, two minutes early for inspection.  Whew. 

City and county inspection great, utility hates because that's what they seem to be good at, or they just have a different perspective on things. 

So an entire meter rip out and re-install, and I can feel my spine caving with the smallest effort and can barely lean over.

Yesterday Liturgy probably helped create this because the Church demands that everyone stand for long services, so the day begins at 8AM and ends at 1AM in the morning crawling into bed whimpering from pain.  Yes, I was by some accounts tardy to church, but either follow me all day every day and keep up, or just condemn me for not being as tough as Russians.  So 5.30AM wake up to call for inspection, and I try to secretly sleep in to 7AM, but get the call that Will Call did NOT receive notice that another branch picked my order, and a very curt, "OK I'll deal with it." and abrupt hang up is my "Hello, God just wants you to be happy" call.

So meter rip out and install is one hour, but I lack the loppers for the gauge of wire.  My tools are old and worn and stuff on the union list.  Anything else merits condemnation and blackballing from fellow journeymen.  Shops should supply high dollar tools, keeps the shops from digging into our pockets to finance their jobs.  God does want us to be happy!

Inspector returns, out of complete mercy gives me the tag for utility hook up and says, "Just send me a picture, it's ok". 

So, off to buy loppers and dress in service conductors, send photos, no news is good news.

Then the priest came to bless the house, and his young lady companion who I don't have the attention span or interest to wonder why she is with him except it is for propieties' sake so he isn't wandering into homes with no one attending, anyway, she looked completely confused and more than slightly disgusted walking into a construction zone.  I tried to not look at her face and just get on with business.

We bless the house.

Pack up tools, rush through one major highway accident with bodies on stretchers and no less than three ambulances all to different scenes and requiring rush hour pull over to the side of the road, and I make it 10 minutes early to attend the early death of the household cat with my family member.  I was not really caring too much about the cat at this point.  I was kind of glad to not have another mouth to feed, honestly, and everyone knows heaven is better than here.  God wants us to be happy!

So I made it for the tears and the 25 cat snack treats he gobbled down just before the final shot took away that horrible suffering insatiable appetite he was suffering from.  (He would eat and eat, then just puke and get thinner and thinner, and you don't want to know all the other horrible details, especially how I'm really relieved to not have him kicking all my paperwork off my desk just because he finds it enjoyable). 

Then surreal moments of young people trying to make plaster caste thingys from his paws, and me holding up a dead cat with his shaved paws, (I shaved them because I'm a worker bee and very practical), his little dead paws stuffed into a heart shaped mold, and 1.5 minutes in I'm tired of this and it's just time to let go.  Let's be practical.  It's a cat.

The brilliant part was the young friend who attended with the bereaved who was carefully reading the caste making instructions, and about 10 minutes in the light comes on and he figures out we are making a caste in which to pour plaster.

My heart burst with love for him at the moment of recognition. 

He humbly said "Well, I smoked a LOT of pot before, so I'm a little slow on the uptake".    lol

So I'm still holding the dead cat so his paws will make a little mold thingy, and then just as I'm about to start swearing, we pull his little dead paws out and everything sticks to them and there are only two gigantic kitty foot sized holes in the mold.  So they begin to arrange to have the vet clinic just do whatever they do.

OK, good, by now this has absorbed everyone's complete attention and everyone can drive away from this without a chauffeur due to overwrought tears over a poor kitty who is probably so much happier now than we can even conceive, so I bow out. 

End of day. 

This evening, I could stand to shed dirty clothes. 

Thank God!

See, God does want me to be happy.  He gave me a miracle and I'm working really hard to do my part.  That's it.  The cat is happy and he knows we love him.

Some day I won't have a hurting body, just hope I don't end up in hell which is probably a lot like underneath my house where I spent all yesterday afternoon with the centipedes and creepy crawlies in the dark all by myself hauling out garbage left by stupid people who I intensely disliked all day yesterday, and for all those little things like cussing the utility and the guy who sold me the stupid meter base that is not acceptable by the utility, and being secretly happy that now I have one less mouth to feed even though he was sweet and cute.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I really like #7 and if I were ever to have a tattoo, I think this should be it, even if just for consolation in the midst of all this weirdness of modern life. 

"As it is written: 'None is righteous, no, not one (Romans 3:10)'.

That really matches what I have observed.

Overall the list is full of the trite and hackneyed platitudes I hear from day to day, and yes they suck, but most people don't have time to respond with an entire blog about them, and I usually respond with "Oh.. really?... " and move on.  So, God is good to bloggers! (#2) [and me].

Thank God!

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score

primuspilus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
A displaced Southerner in the Godless North
Website
www.saintgregorythetheologian.org
Faith
Greek Orthodox (former WR)
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
God helps those who help themselves
I see what he's trying to say here, however you cant just sit around and expect salvation. His proof contradicts the point he is making. When he talks about denying and taking up your cross, that is an action WE must take.

God wants me to be happy
I agree with this. God wants us to have joy. A totally different state than happiness.

We're all God's children
I have no problem with his observation.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness
Really? People still say this (outside of Cable Guy)? Cleanliness is used as a metaphor.

God won't give you more than you can handle
Looks like someone never read 1 Corinthians 10.

We all worship the same God
We don't.

Bad things happen to good people
None are righteous, but there are people mentioned as being holy. Like the prophets, the Church, and select few individuals. This stinks of Calvinism.

When you die, God gains another angel
I hear this more from folks who arent Christians than those who are.

We're all going to the same place when we die
I think there are some folks who would disagree on this point.

PP

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Adela said:

I notice he didn't include his first two sentences in the list of "Unbiblical Statements Christians Believe".