• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

A book on the history of confession

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any books on the history/development of the rite of confession?  I've had a great deal of difficulty finding even the name of a single book on the subject.

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Can anyone recommend any books on the history/development of the rite of confession?  I've had a great deal of difficulty finding even the name of a single book on the subject.
Good luck: I have been looking for something like that forever.  And the tradition developed so differently in Greece than in for example Romanian, Ukraine (no the), Russia, Belarus.  I think it is Kitsenko who recently published a article about the history confession in Russian that I find interesting.  Let me know if you are interested & I will look for the URL.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Do you require an exclusively Orthodox treatment, or something more broad?
I would greatly appreciate the name of a book on either.  The closest I've been able to find so far is a book on confession in 16th century Germany....which is a tad too specific for me to spend $72 on, right now.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Orest said:
JamesRottnek said:
Good luck: I have been looking for something like that forever.  And the tradition developed so differently in Greece than in for example Romanian, Ukraine (no the), Russia, Belarus.  I think it is Kitsenko who recently published a article about the history confession in Russian that I find interesting.  Let me know if you are interested & I will look for the URL.
I actually would be interested in that, if it isn't too much trouble.