A compromise with illegal aliens

Mo the Ethio

Elder
Reaction score
It struck me last weekend that a compromise could be struck with illegals in this country. We give them (illegal aliens) full amnesty and citizenship and in return require five years of military service. This would give us (the U.S.) a minimum sixteen million extra troops to be deployed in the mid-east and would cement our presence there for many years to come ( which I believe to of the utmost importance.)

( Mods ....this does not involve American politics directly, so I believe I am within bounds)

TomS

Archon
Reaction score
I believe the Roman Empire did something similar?

CRCulver

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Helsinki, Finland or Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Website
www.christopherculver.com
Mo the Ethio said:
It struck me last weekend that a compromise could be struck with illegals in this country. We give them (illegal aliens) full amnesty and citizenship and in return require five years of military service. This would give us (the U.S.) a minimum sixteen million extra troops to be deployed in the mid-east and would cement our presence there for many years to come ( which I believe to of the utmost importance.)
Why would they take an amnesty that would put them in shackles when they can just live comfortably as illegals? The government hasn't been able to round up many illegal immigrants at all, and they have little incentive to announce their presence in the U.S.

Mo the Ethio

Elder
Reaction score
CRCulver said:
Why would they take an amnesty that would put them in shackles when they can just live comfortably as illegals? The government hasn't been able to round up many illegal immigrants at all, and they have little incentive to announce their presence in the U.S.
Good point!  How about amnesty/military service or deportation. And free will is still involved.

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Mo the Ethio said:
Good point!  How about amnesty/military service or deportation. And free will is still involved.
Because we wouldn't be able to deport them anyway--it's just too big a task--so that whole consequence is unenforceable, and therefore the law is powerless.

I personally like (batten down the hatches, folks!) what...um...is being said by a certain branch of our country's government.  :-X

StephenG

Reaction score
In a moment of distraction when I first read this my thoughts were of 'ET' type aliens, and I wondered how some might legal and others illegal. But then the penny dropped.

The idea of loads of troops sounds fine, but you still have to train, equip and provide ongoing logistical support, etc., etc. And having an occupation force anywhere were the locals are in active resistance sounds to me like something to be avoided if at all possible.

Anyway didn't you guys snatch a load of territory in - what was it - 1848? So perhaps some hispanic folks are merely going were they feel they may have an inherent right to go?

Mo the Ethio

Elder
Reaction score
Pedro said:
Because we wouldn't be able to deport them anyway--it's just too big a task--so that whole consequence is unenforceable, and therefore the law is powerless.

ÂÂ
See ,this is what bothers me. We live in a society of laws . I am ( as a citizen) expected to obey the law.Which I do.
They however ,by entering the country illegally , are breaking the law of the country they seek to reside .
Can we as Americans go to a foreign country , break the law , and not expect judicial reprises? ÂÂ
My suggestion , albeit untenable, is my lame attempt to make some kind of sense out of utter nonsense.

Mo the Ethio

Elder
Reaction score
StephenG said:
Anyway didn't you guys snatch a load of territory in - what was it - 1848? So perhaps some hispanic folks are merely going were they feel they may have an inherent right to go?
Pretty Funny :D  I like your sense of humor........unless your not joking ;)

observer

High Elder
Reaction score
I like the idea of raising the immigration fee ??? - now you legal types will have to pay more for the privilege of being citizens and paying for the illegals. 

DerekMK

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Actually America has tried something similar in the past with Irish immigrants and large scale conscription in both the Mexican-American War and the Civil War (or War of Southern Aggression if you prefer) - with not so great results. 

Mo the Ethio

Elder
Reaction score
Νεκτάριος said:
Actually America has tried something similar in the past with Irish immigrants and large scale conscription in both the Mexican-American War and the Civil War (or War of Southern Aggression if you prefer) - with not so great results.ÂÂ
I would like to point out that the Irish were LEGAL immigrants....so,ummm...it might be even worse with illegals
            (mo seeing his arguement turning into pulp)