• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

A Good Sermon Today

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all.

My priest gave a very good sermon today regarding the true meaning of Lent. Ill paraphrase it below:

"Lent is not a time for just fasting, nor a time for judgment. To condemn any man because he eats meat and you do not is a sin worse than any. This is a time for Justice and Love, not of condemnation and hate. Remember that those who come at the eleventh hour are just as welcome as those that came at the first. Some cannot fast. Some can. But all shall be equal in our eyes, for it is only God that can truly act as Judge. To show one's piety through long-winded prayers and torturous fasts are committing a spiritual blackmail against God for his love. They try to confine and control him, but they do not realize he is angered by these acts of 'piety' when love is not given to ones neighbor. Without actions, these acts of faith are empty"

I thought this was an excellent message at the beginning of Lent. It seems like many people feel worthy because they are more true to the fast than others. All deserve our love, whether they be Catholic or Atheist.

Just thought it was a nice bit of wisdom to share on Forgiveness Sunday.

Peace,
Will

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
To show one's piety through long-winded prayers and torturous fasts are committing a spiritual blackmail against God for his love.
This part is awesome.  Is this sermon recorded or anything.

If not, I'd like to forward your paraphrase if you don't mind.

God bless.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Oh I forgot to ask for the priest's name as well to give credit where credit is due.

Thank you.

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He records his sermon's, but never lets the public hear them. I think it's just for his own personal use to see where he can improve. But please, feel free to pass this along!

His name is Father Constantine.