• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

A Prayer request for wisdom and guidance

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

My nephew has been sentenced to 2 years prison for repeat meth problems.  He's recently written my mom, his grandma, and requested that I write him and maybe send him some reading material.  He writes that's he's re-dedicated his life to Christ and has vowed to 'rise above his raisin'' as we say down here.  I recognize a tremendous opportunity, as well as responsibility and I need your prayers that I'll know what to write and send.  I don't want to patronize him or talk down to him, but he's singled me out for, I guess you could call it 'help'.  I need the wisdom also to know the difference between real help and being conned; he's what you'd call street smart.  Couple that with the fact that I tend to be lenient with kinfolk, I want to do what's best for him.  If any y'all have book suggestions (not just religious, but things that would be helpful like finance and such) please PM me with them.  And please pray I'll know what to say. 

Thanks a million, friends!

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Hey y'all,

My nephew has been sentenced to 2 years prison for repeat meth problems.  He's recently written my mom, his grandma, and requested that I write him and maybe send him some reading material.  He writes that's he's re-dedicated his life to Christ and has vowed to 'rise above his raisin'' as we say down here.  I recognize a tremendous opportunity, as well as responsibility and I need your prayers that I'll know what to write and send.  I don't want to patronize him or talk down to him, but he's singled me out for, I guess you could call it 'help'.  I need the wisdom also to know the difference between real help and being conned; he's what you'd call street smart.  Couple that with the fact that I tend to be lenient with kinfolk, I want to do what's best for him.  If any y'all have book suggestions (not just religious, but things that would be helpful like finance and such) please PM me with them.  And please pray I'll know what to say. 

Thanks a million, friends!
Lord have mercy!

I had my mother send me a paperback Orthodox Study Bible, which was a big hit with my fellow inmates.  I left it with a man who, as he said it, was looking at doing long hard time down state for his guilt. He begged me to leave it with him-this from a man who acknowledged and acknowledged as a hardened criminal.  I told him I had already decided to do that anyways.

The fact that he has written you all is a very good sign.  Take advantage of it, for his betterment and benefit.