• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

A Question About Palamite Theology

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm a simple man who looks for simple explanations. So can someone give me a very concise explanation or analogy of the essence/energies distinction? I like the analogy of the iron in the fire. That makes perfect sense to me. But my main question is whether or not God's attributes can be separated from His being. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that God's divine attributes are eternally wed to His eternal being. I can't think of any divine attribute that didn't exist in eternity past or that will cease to exist in the eternal future. Am I mistaken here? Thanks for any clarification you can give me.

Selam

Aaron6127

Reaction score
You might find this helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b6CRoI980k

My understanding is the Palamite would say the attributes are all energies of God. But the relationship - and there is indeed an intimate relationship between the essence and energies - is complicated and I won't try to do you the disservice of explaining it when I'm still ignorant myself. I think you best bet i to look into Bradshaw (linked above) as he is a major subject matter expert on this issue.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Energies,Essence/Distinction in Persons of the Trinity. (Personhood of Christ)

The Holy Trinity ~ One God, Three Divine Persons.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't an attribute the result of an action though?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Studying the argument of divine simplicity.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
I could say tentatively that an attribute is a quality (eg. immortality), whereas an essence is a substance and an energy is a power.
In physics, energy is the capacity to do work; the influence required to perform an action. The amount of energy in a system is the amount of change that can be made to it.

Basic forms of energy include:

Kinetic energy - energy of an object in motion, which acts as the capacity to undergo change in position over time.
Potential energy - stored energy, which acts as the potential to do work.
Heat - thermal energy which is used to vibrate atoms and molecules.
Electrical energy which is energy that relates to electrical interactions.

(SOURCE: Energy - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy)