• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

A thought I had about Buddhist and Christian iconography

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
From an old thread that I saw today:

Iconodule said:
I doubt there was much opportunity for Orthodox and Buddhist iconographical traditions to cross-pollinate, but I too see interesting parallels between our icons of "All Saints" or "All of Creation Rejoices in Thee" with Buddhist mandalas.
Is it possible that some of the "Greco-Buddhist" heritage survived in Bactria into the Roman period and led to some cross-pollination (perhaps via Persian Christians) to thus create some cross-over in some of these icons? Seems like it would be very speculative at best.

The Buddhist image that Alveus Lacuna was talking about:

reclusivus

Reaction score
I'm not well-read on the topic, but the Indo-Greek Kingdom fascinates me quite a bit. Mystifying synthesis.

It seems God indeed did expand Japheth, multiple times over, long before the colonial era.