A young American has moved to Russia for being able to practice Orthodoxy

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=9893 said:
33-years-old American George Green, a former programmer has given up his career in the USA for being able to live in Russia and to practice Orthodoxy.

In interview to Interfax-Religion he told how being an adult chose his religion and subsequent reversals of his fortune...
I wonder how much time will it take for him to burn out.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Yawn, another anti-American American comes to Russia for salvation.....Methinks he is searching for that heaven on earth which can not be found by mere men. Back in the days of the Bolshevik revolution and into the 1930's he had plenty of company in that regard, only they saw their God in Leninism. John Reed and his fellow travelers must be laughing somewhere....

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
I wonder, is this guy still in Ukraine? Or has he returned to Russia? It's not clear in the text.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
I could understand the anti-American aspect but that of all countries he chose Russia.  ???

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
[redacted polemics against pilgrimages not being Christian for almost everyone]

Perhaps everyone should read this:

When the Lord invites the blest to their inheritance in the kingdom of heaven, He does not include a pilgrimage to Jerusalem among their good deeds; when He announces the Beatitudes, He does not name among them that sort of devotion.
He cannot imagine that our Lord is living, in the body, there at the present day, but has gone away from us foreigners; or that the Holy Spirit is in abundance at Jerusalem, but unable to travel as far as us. Whereas, if it is really possible to infer God's presence from visible symbols, one might more justly consider that He dwelt in the Cappadocian nation than in any of the spots outside it. For how many Altars there are there, on which the name of our Lord is glorified! One could hardly count so many in all the rest of the world. Again, if the Divine grace was more abundant about Jerusalem than elsewhere, sin would not be so much the fashion among those that live there; but as it is, there is no form of uncleanness that is not perpetrated among them; rascality, adultery, theft, idolatry, poisoning, quarrelling, murder, are rife; and the last kind of evil is so excessively prevalent, that nowhere in the world are people so ready to kill each other as there; where kinsmen attack each other like wild beasts, and spill each other's blood, merely for the sake of lifeless plunder. Well, in a place where such things go on, what proof, I ask, have you of the abundance of Divine grace?

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/2913.htm

And Jerusalem was not even a one of the three Moscows . . . 

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
I would take Georgia or Romania. Beautiful countries.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I wish him the best!  It takes courage to leave everything behind and follow Jesus, as we are commanded.  I suspect this fellow really seeks God and chose a place known for its sacrifices and Saints and also for seclusion.  What better place to live without distraction than somewhere not American.  Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Kerdy said:
I wish him the best!  It takes courage to leave everything behind and follow Jesus, as we are commanded.  I suspect this fellow really seeks God and chose a place know for his sacrifices and Saints and also for seclusion.  What better place to live without distraction than somewhere not American.  Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
Because there are absolutely no carnal distractions in Holy Muscovy, none whatsoever.  ::)

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
sheenj said:
Kerdy said:
I wish him the best!  It takes courage to leave everything behind and follow Jesus, as we are commanded.  I suspect this fellow really seeks God and chose a place know for his sacrifices and Saints and also for seclusion.  What better place to live without distraction than somewhere not American.  Perhaps we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
Because there are absolutely no carnal distractions in Holy Muscovy, none whatsoever.  ::)
Without money and the language barrier, very few.  But you are very well aware of what I was saying.

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Kerdy said:
Without money and the language barrier, very few.
You dont need any money or knowledge of the Russian language to get a carnal distraction in Russia. You just need to walk on a street and see the females. The majority of them look like supermodels, according to Western standards, and wear miniskirts even when it snows. And this is not an exaggeration.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
Kerdy said:
You dont need any money or knowledge of the Russian language to get a carnal distraction in Russia. You just need to walk on a street and see the females. The majority of them look like supermodels, according to Western standards, and wear miniskirts even when it snows. And this is not an exaggeration.
I could careless about Western standards, but only my own standards when it comes to someone looking like a supermodel.

In fact I'm sure we could get discounts because we are Americans. Isn't there some class in France that just adores Americans, and they are rich too?

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
Kerdy said:
You could have even more distractions in the privacy of your home at the computer.  Why are we attacking this man?  Again, perhaps we should consider his intentions pure and pray for his success rather than speak harshly of him. 

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Kerdy said:
Gorazd said:
Kerdy said:
You could have even more distractions in the privacy of your home at the computer.  Why are we attacking this man?  Again, perhaps we should consider his intentions pure and pray for his success rather than speak harshly of him.  
I don't think anyone is attacking him, though I personally just find the notion that Russia is "Holier" than America to be little naïve.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
sheenj said:
Kerdy said:
Gorazd said:
Kerdy said:
You could have even more distractions in the privacy of your home at the computer.  Why are we attacking this man?  Again, perhaps we should consider his intentions pure and pray for his success rather than speak harshly of him.  
I don't think anyone is attacking him, though I personally just find the notion that Russia is "Holier" than America to be little naïve.
I understand that, it isn't, but at least this fellow is searching and I have not seen much encouragement here for him.  We should pray he finds what is soul is searching for, whether in Russia or somewhere else.

Now that you mention it, attack is too harsh a word.  Criticize would be a better word.

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Kerdy said:
sheenj said:
Kerdy said:
Gorazd said:
Kerdy said:
You could have even more distractions in the privacy of your home at the computer.  Why are we attacking this man?  Again, perhaps we should consider his intentions pure and pray for his success rather than speak harshly of him. 
I understand that, it isn't, but at least this fellow is searching and I have not seen much encouragement here for him.  We should pray he finds what is soul is searching for, whether in Russia or somewhere else.

Now that you mention it, attack is too harsh a word.  Criticize would be a better word.
Yeah, I definitely wish him well on his spiritual journey, if that's what he needs to do to be closer to God, then by all means do it. But, for the most part, Russia is not exactly the last fortress of Orthodoxy that some russophiles like to think it is.

Cantor Krishnich

High Elder
Reaction score
sheenj said:
Kerdy said:
Gorazd said:
Kerdy said:
An elderly Russian lady once said "America is much holier than Russia because in America, Russians went to church to find a wife instead of other places!".