• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Abp. Hieronymos demands Pope Francis apologize for lack of Vatican support for Greek Revolution 200 yrs ago

FULK NERA

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Strong intervention of Archbishop of Athens in meeting with Pope Francis

The intervention of the Archbishop, which is unfamiliar with his own style, before Pope Francis was bold and resounding.

During his visit to the Archdiocese of Athens, Archbishop Ieronymos, in a polite and discreet manner, reminded the Pope that the Catholics did not express support during the Greek Independence War.

“As the humble and vigorous leader of the Roman Catholic Church, we believe that at this historic juncture you have the courage and sincerity to consider the failures and omissions of your Fathers, who did not support the struggle of our people for freedom.”

“It is not my intention to put you in a difficult position,” the Archbishop continued, “but I believe that among those who want to be called and be brothers in Christ, the best language is and remains honesty. Let us repel the misconceived concept of diplomacy and diplomatic processes,” he underlined.

“I am sure that as the groundbreaking Primate of the Roman Catholic Church you know how to shake off the burdens of the past, especially those concerning the events of the Greek National Uprising, which unfortunately have hurt the crew of our Church. We owe to the blood of these heroes and martyrs of the Greek Revolution their restoration by you in the historical becoming”, he noted.

In his address, the Archbishop called on world leaders to take bolder decisions, condemning the Glasgow Treaty and calling it inadequate.

He called on Pope Francis to take joint action, the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, on the protection of the environment and immigration, and referred to the need to continue the dialogue towards visible unity.

On his part, Pope Francis described the actions of certain persons of the Roman Catholic Church as “shameful,” and once again apologized to the Orthodox Christian brothers for the mistakes of the past.

It is recalled that a similar apology was requested by Pope John Paul II during his visit to Athens exactly 20 years ago.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
I hope this is not some ruse for easy reunion. Such a “reunion” would probably end up undermining many traditional beliefs of Orthodox & Catholics who still adhere to them in the fear the Lord & keeping His commandments.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Yes, because the Orthodox have never caused any wars.

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
The niche of nation, to which everyone owes, is already occupied. The Greeks will not succeed.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this is not some ruse for easy reunion. Such a “reunion” would probably end up undermining many traditional beliefs of Orthodox & Catholics who still adhere to them in the fear the Lord & keeping His commandments.
Why would you even think this? I am mystified.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
Clicked on that link. The look on Pope Francis' face says it all. Priceless.

Did any other Popes apologize?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
Why would you even think this? I am mystified.
I am skeptical that many hierarchs would sell out their flocks for a cheap bargain. I know there have been dirty deeds done by both sides for centuries. Surely I believe Catholics ( & many Protestants) have a saving faith but aspects that clash with ours ( & vice versa). All of us in fallen humanity live the gamut in a fallen world.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
True, recent. Thank you for putting it that way.

FULK NERA

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
I don’t think it would change a thing in parishes.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
I am skeptical that many hierarchs would sell out their flocks for a cheap bargain. I know there have been dirty deeds done by both sides for centuries. Surely I believe Catholics ( & many Protestants) have a saving faith but aspects that clash with ours ( & vice versa). All of us in fallen humanity live the gamut in a fallen world.
It's my belief that unless two prerequisites are met there will never be a reunion of Catholic and Orthodox: 1) loss of historical memory; 2) complete willingness to forgive, with love. But then...I'm a nobody :).

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
Clicked on that link. The look on Pope Francis' face says it all. Priceless.

Did any other Popes apologize?
Meant: Did Pope John Paul II apologize for this 20 years ago when he was asked the same?
And of all things, to ask Pope Francis to apologize in relations with Orthodox this seems strange. Will Pope Francis next apologize to the Russian orthodox for not helping them either in their wars? What about all the other orthodox all over the world? Why isn't Pope Francis apologizing to all of them for the lack of Roman Catholic assistance? The act of asking for an apology says that there was an expectation of protection that failed. What obligation does the Roman Catholic have to protect or assist the Orthodox? It infers that the Pope is over Orthodox and turned its head away at time of need. It's crazy talk. It contradicts everything. It hands power over as Recent Convert brought up.