• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Abp of Cyprus: "I didn't ask because they would have said no."

Samn!

High Elder
Reaction score
This is pretty wild... I get that Patriarch Bartholomew believes that Apostolic Canon 34 doesn't apply to him at the universal level, but apparently it doesn't apply at the Cypriot level either?

And in your letter to the Ecumenical Patriarch, you informed him that you would commemorate the Metropolitan of Kiev.

Indeed. And I also thought it was a good thing, so that they [sc. the metropolitans of the Church of Cyprus] would not be disturbed and we would quarrel, not to inform them because if I did, they would have said no.

And as my own response, I would have said, “I’m not going to listen to you,” which would have made things worse. I say, “I will commemorate,” and they will protest and when they come to me to protest, I will tell them, “Brothers, because I did not intend to listen to you, I did not tell you. I apologize, but it is my right and I did it.”

Michael Seraphim

BANNED
Reaction score
In the article His Beatitude said that he had the right to do so. Perhaps light can be shed on the comment?

Samn!

High Elder
Reaction score
In the article His Beatitude said that he had the right to do so. Perhaps light can be shed on the comment?
It's very unclear why he thinks he has such a right. The Holy Synod of the Church of Cyprus already voted to maintain neutrality on the issue and a primate can't arbitrarily violate a synodal decision.

LukeDM

Reaction score
The latest from His Beatitude, essentially saying that his bishops don't get a say in the matter: :rolleyes:

“They don’t get a say in it. What the cay say is that they won’t concelebrate with me (editor’s note: the Archbishop of Cyprus). We all concelebrate the Divine Liturgy a few times a year during festivities. If I invite them to concelebrate the Divine Liturgy with me, they cannot refuse to do so. When I invite them, they cannot come only if they get sick,” he explained. If they choose not to attend, then there are punishments, he said. “The punishments provided for range from reprimand to defrocking. We cannot do what we want within the Church of Cyprus.
(Emphasis mine)

Michael Seraphim

BANNED
Reaction score
The latest from His Beatitude, essentially saying that his bishops don't get a say in the matter: :rolleyes:

(Emphasis mine)

Bishops do have to conclebrate with their Primate

Also, 'Let the vote of the majority prevail... if two or three Bishops [meaning a minority] out of stubbornness disagree...'