• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Abp. Sotirios of Canada - EP is First without equals

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
“Are There ‘Taliban’ in the Orthodox Church? On the Absence of an Ecclesial Consciousness”

"ONLY SATANICALLY PROUD ORTHODOX “TALIBAN” DON’T LISTEN TO CONSTANTINOPLE, SAYS GREEK ARCHBISHOP OF TORONTO"

"Those who reject the Patriarchate of Constantinople’s claim to being “First Without Equals” rend the robe of Christ, lack an ecclesial consciousness, and are deserving of the title of Orthodox “Taliban,” Archbishop Sotirios of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada believes."

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
From what I can gather of Google translation the bishop's tone is fairly moderate. It seems that "Taliban" refers not to bishops or patriarchs but angry people on internet. It's hard to disagree on that as it's fairly apt description. There's loads of angry people on internet no matter which religion we're talking about.

Hopefully someone provides a real translation at some point.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
The clown show out of the Toronto archbishopric notwithstanding, at least we finally have definitive clarity on how the EP views its position within global Orthodoxy. I eagerly await comment from its usual apologists.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I am a member of the Orthodox Taliban Church Outside Afghanistan, surprisingly not funded by the CIA.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
From what I can gather of Google translation the bishop's tone is fairly moderate. It seems that "Taliban" refers not to bishops or patriarchs but angry people on internet. It's hard to disagree on that as it's fairly apt description. There's loads of angry people on internet no matter which religion we're talking about.

Hopefully someone provides a real translation at some point.
1. It's inappropriate to refer to any Orthodox believers as the "Taliban".

2. Who cares how moderate or extreme the terminology he uses is. The sentiment is the same; he's condemning as dangerous and heretical anyone who rejects the primacy that the EP doesn't have, but likes to think it does.

If not officially or on paper, the EP and its Hellenic sycophant jurisdictions are, in practice, sinking into schism.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
1. It's inappropriate to refer to any Orthodox believers as the "Taliban".
I'm bit of an Orthodox Taliban. I don't mind anyone calling me that.

Anyway, my point was that Orthochristian.com made too much of it. Russians obviously disagree with His Eminence (as do I, btw) but He is not calling each and everyone disagreeing with him as Taliban. Nor satanic. Tabloid-style articles on internet are not particularly helpful to anything.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
It's ok. When the Greek festival happens this year, everyone is required to wear three masks and faceshield, show proof of both doses of vaccine, and submit to a Covid rectal swab.

All worth it for a gyro, Turkish coffee, and cheap mounted icons.

If I have to say that HAH Bartholomew is first without equals, I will for the sake of Greek Festivals.

Gotcha! Taliban here, using taqiyya and eating gyro and french fries. Mmmmm

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
It's ok. When the Greek festival happens this year, everyone is required to wear three masks and faceshield, show proof of both doses of vaccine, and submit to a Covid rectal swab.

All worth it for a gyro, Turkish coffee, and cheap mounted icons.

If I have to say that HAH Bartholomew is first without equals, I will for the sake of Greek Festivals.

Gotcha! Taliban here, using taqiyya and eating gyro and french fries. Mmmmm
Back in 2019, my local Greek cathedral's annual festival had a Turkish belly dancing troupe perform on the steps of the church. They handed out coupons for a free dance. Great for birthdays, weddings, and really any old time.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
I LOL every time someone refers to Greeks doing Turkish things. My favourite is this newspiece from few years back.

1611858177761.png

EDIT: Apparently it was over ten years ago. How did that happen? Where have all those years gone?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Lol, stuidying theology in Balamand, I've been always talibat al-lahut (student of theology), even while taking Communion if I rembmerm correctly, as talib(a) lahut is actually not layman/laywoman.

So yes, I say proudly that I'm Orthodox talib(a).

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
EDIT: Apparently it was over ten years ago. How did that happen? Where have all those years gone?
Glad I'm not the only one that feels like that!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Are the sentiments of Abp. Sotirios shared by the clergy & laity of the GOACanada?

I was under the impression the laity were decidedly more “orthodox” than the hierarchy there

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
You are aware that political commentary is not permitted on the public boards. Please don't veer into this again. Pravoslavbob, Section Moderator.
Are the sentiments of Abp. Sotirios shared by the clergy & laity of the GOACanada?

I was under the impression the laity were decidedly more “orthodox” than the hierarchy there
I can only speak anecdotally and this might be completely unfair, but I find GOACanada laity to be the worst offenders with respect to being religiously indifferent and ethnocentric. My old OCA parish had some transplants from there who said no one bothered participating in the Mysteries and church was just somewhere to hang out with Greeks and talk about Greek things at coffee hour. Political commentary removed. The only exception I've noticed is St. Kosmas Aitolos monastery, which is about an hour from my house. But then there are rumours circulating that Elder Ephraim's network is at a breaking point with GOARCH anyway.

Your warning will expire in two weeks, assuming that you receive no other warnings during this time. Your ability to post and interact with others will not be affected. Pravoslavbob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
Ecclesiological brainworms.

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP

I get the impression that precisely the corrective of an Orthodox laity is what the Greeks are lacking practically everywhere. I mean it is pretty obvious in the case of the flockless shepherds of the EP and their titular sees, but it also seems to be a problem in the diaspora eparchies that actually have a laity.