• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Account deletion

matthewtnagel

Reaction score
I understand that account deletions are not generally done, but could an exception be made? I likely would have never made an account or even had inclination to post if I had realized that both the account and the posts themselves could not be deleted at my discretion. I find this rather unsettling. Add to this that I feel very uncomfortable with my real name being associated with my profile. I no longer intend to post on here so if my account could be deleted I would deeply appreciate it.

God bless.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Our account non-deletion policy is part of the forum rules, to which you agreed on signup. If you intend to leave, you can simply add 'I no longer post on this forum' or something similar in your signature. We could change your username, if you are worried about identification, but that will only affect the dynamic link on your sidebar, not any of your posts that others have quoted.

matthewtnagel

Reaction score
Okay. I PM'd Fr. George a few days ago, asking to change my username but have not gotten a response. How can I have this done?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
He's a busy guy, he'll get to it.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
matthewtnagel said:
Okay. I PM'd Fr. George a few days ago, asking to change my username but have not gotten a response. How can I have this done?
My fault, I forgot to mention that Fr. George could take a while to respond.  Hang in there.

matthewtnagel

Reaction score
Honestly, is there ANY way. Anything at all that I can do to have my account deleted? Could someone just ban me even? Do I have to just spam the forums with garbage for a week straight to get deleted because I will.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Our account non-deletion policy is part of the forum rules, to which you agreed on signup. If you intend to leave, you can simply add 'I no longer post on this forum' or something similar in your signature. We could change your username, if you are worried about identification, but that will only affect the dynamic link on your sidebar, not any of your posts that others have quoted.
Matthew, shouldn't that be enough for you? I mean your posts are quite neutral so far. If you have posted things like personal confessions or some disturbing statements I could comprehend your concern better.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
matthewtnagel said:
Honestly, is there ANY way. Anything at all that I can do to have my account deleted? Could someone just ban me even? Do I have to just spam the forums with garbage for a week straight to get deleted because I will.
Banning won't delete your account. It will just lock you out of it and leave all the garbage in place for the world to see.

CarolS

Elder
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church
matthewtnagel said:
Do I have to just spam the forums with garbage for a week straight to get deleted because I will.
My guess is that will just call more attention to your name.  You have so few posts that I wouldn't worry about it. Before long they will settle to the bottom of forgotten posts along with everything else on the web.

matthewtnagel

Reaction score
Yes, Nathanael, that is fine with me if I could actually manage to get my username changed. Is Fr. George the only one who can do it?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
I would enjoy seeing spam.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
This place is worse than hell!  All your thoughts are trapped inside a quote box.