• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Action 'Pelican' in Supraśl monastery in Poland

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
This year on Sunday when the Gospel about the Good Samaritan is read in the Supraśl monastery (that also serves as a parish church for the town) was organised action of blood donation called 'Pelican'.
Archimandrite Sergius was the first one, that donated blood. 15 believers joined the action - there were much more people that wanted to give their blood, but the medical tests showed, that actually that's them that need this help. So ,in the end, 7,2 litres of blood was collected.

Source (in Polish) and photos

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
So is giving blood ok in Orthodoxy? And receiving blood transfusions? I though I'd read that it wasn't, but I'm not sure where.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
So is giving blood ok in Orthodoxy? And receiving blood transfusions? I though I'd read that it wasn't, but I'm not sure where.
I don't think there was ever any controversy about blood transfusions (in Greece, the battle with the JWs, who refuse them, has been going on for decades). There was some debate about organ donation, at first. Both cases are laid to rest - giving and receiving blood, marrow, or solid organs is not just allowed, but encouraged.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
This year on Sunday when the Gospel about the Good Samaritan is read in the Supraśl monastery (that also serves as a parish church for the town) was organised action of blood donation called 'Pelican'.
Archimandrite Sergius was the first one, that donated blood. 15 believers joined the action - there were much more people that wanted to give their blood, but the medical tests showed, that actually that's them that need this help. So ,in the end, 7,2 litres of blood was collected.

Source (in Polish) and photos
How sad for our anemic brothers and sisters who have huge hearts and wanted to donate and yet needed an infision. May God bless them richly and grant them strength. ❤

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC