• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Actor Tom Hanks visits Orthodox church in Antarctica

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

" Famous actor Tom Hanks visited the Orthodox church of the Life-Giving Trinity in Antarctica at the Russian polar station “Bellingshausen” on Waterloo Island, Deacon Maxim Gerb, a cleric of the church in Antarctica, told the journal Foma.

“Many interesting people visit our church, including Tom Hanks who was recently sailing past our island on a yacht. He is a very open and friendly person. After he lit some candles I suggested to him to climb up to the bell tower, so I could attest that Forrest Gump was in Antarctica and can now ring bells pretty well,” commented Deacon Maxim on the actor’s visit, in his account of the life of the Orthodox community in Antarctica.

Translated by Jesse Dominick

Foma

16 / 02 / 2016"

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/90709.htm

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Glory to God.  I liked his depiction of an Orthodox refugee in Terminal.  He and his wide are parishioners at St. Sophia's Greek Orthodox Church in the Latin-Byzantine Quarter of Los Angeles.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
wgw said:
Glory to God.  I liked his depiction of an Orthodox refugee in Terminal.  He and his wide are parishioners at St. Sophia's Greek Orthodox Church in the Latin-Byzantine Quarter of Los Angeles.
I was happy to hear that his wife and him are not getting a divorce. I guess her cancer brought them closer together.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
wgw said:
What do you mean by that exactly?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
wgw said:
It's a historical neighborhood in Los Angeles.

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-et-neighborhood10-2009feb10-story.html

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
scamandrius said:
wgw said:

Yes, they have done a wonderful job of cleaning up the neighborhood around the cathedral, making it much better for the church goers as well as the locals.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
FatherGiryus said:
DeniseDenise said:
scamandrius said:
wgw said:

Yes, they have done a wonderful job of cleaning up the neighborhood around the cathedral, making it much better for the church goers as well as the locals.
My perspective of neighbourhood safety is a bit skewed...having once lived just south of there in what one could call University Park...