• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Advice on Dealing with Apparition

Saxon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
I have a co-worker whose young (three-year old) daughter is claiming that something is in her room at night - a man with "cold" skin in and around her closet. It went from being "oh, kids" to being unnerving, as the door is slamming after she has fled the room, lights with switches inaccessible to her height are being found on, and her descriptions of the man are oddly vivid. This now occurs nightly. They aren't religious. Is there anything I can do, even if nominal (would giving them an icon for the room help? Holy water?). I'm not looking for a debate on ghosts or kids' imaginations, but if you have any advice, please share.

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
I have a co-worker whose young (three-year old) daughter is claiming that something is in her room at night - a man with "cold" skin in and around her closet. It went from being "oh, kids" to being unnerving, as the door is slamming after she has fled the room, lights with switches inaccessible to her height are being found on, and her descriptions of the man are oddly vivid. This now occurs nightly. They aren't religious. Is there anything I can do, even if nominal (would giving them an icon for the room help? Holy water?). I'm not looking for a debate on ghosts or kids' imaginations, but if you have any advice, please share.
Holy water bottled in the room and an icon or a cross would certainly help. Ask your priest about this.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Can’t hurt:

Prayer Against Demonic Influence

Almighty God, Who delivered Your people from the bondage of the adversary, and through Your Son cast down Satan like lightning, deliver your servants also from every influence of unclean spirits. Command Satan to depart far from them by the power of Your only begotten Son. Rescue them from demonic imaginings and darkness. Fill them with the light of the Holy Spirit that they may be guarded against all snares of crafty demons. Grant that an angel will always go before them and lead them to the path of righteousness all the days of their life, to the honor of Your glorious Name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and forever. Amen.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Why don’t they switch rooms for a night or two? Set up a camera?

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
If they are amenable, invite an Orthodox priest over to bless the house. But, also, if they aren't particularly religious, while a house blessing may do the job, it may not "stick" because of the faith of the people there. But ask them, and if they agree and the priest agrees, that is the first step.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Has the parent checked things in front of the daughter to reassure her?

Saxon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
He said he's going to stay in the room tonight with her. I'll speak to my priest after liturgy tomorrow, and I have some small laminated icons that I'll give to him - Christ, the Theotokos, St. Michael.

Has the parent checked things in front of the daughter to reassure her?
Yes, and nothing there of course, but it has become a nightly pattern.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Also, have her draw a picture.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
Ask if they have recently moved into this home, if they have recently been given anything as a gift for the girl, jewelry? if someone bought an old piece of furniture or trunk, any old toys brought in? Recent visitors? Glad you are talking with priest ASAP. How long has this been going on and what happened at the time it started? These are good questions to ask your friend.

Saxon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
Ask if they have recently moved into this home, if they have recently been given anything as a gift for the girl, jewelry? if someone bought an old piece of furniture or trunk, any old toys brought in? Recent visitors? Glad you are talking with priest ASAP. How long has this been going on and what happened at the time it started? These are good questions to ask your friend.
Something on the lines you mentioned is that he and the kids take walks around a local creek and wooded area and have found several sharpened stones that they believe are Native artifacts or tools and brought them home. The house itself is only five or so years old and I believe they’re the original owners. This started early this past week.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
Something on the lines you mentioned is that he and the kids take walks around a local creek and wooded area and have found several sharpened stones that they believe are Native artifacts or tools and brought them home. The house itself is only five or so years old and I believe they’re the original owners. This started early this past week.
If it was my family I would gather up all the sharpened stones and try to take them back to where they were found.

Gentleman

Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Brussels
Is there anything I can do, even if nominal (would giving them an icon for the room help? Holy water?).
Yes, tell them that only Jesus can save them from those demons. So they should consider to accept Jesus as their Savior, repent before Him of their sins and break away with their old ungodly (atheist, agnostic) way of life. And if they ask what church is the best to go, invite them to your orthodox church.

If it happened with me, I would read my orthodox prayers and the Gospel in my room. The holy water, icons and incense have all only secondarily importance after the prayer and personal effort to improve my way of life for God.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
Lord, have mercy on this family and their home and grant wisdom to all who are involved; protect this little innocent child. Through all things draw all people to your Light and Love.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Are YOU able to get their permission to come and pray in their house? Getting a priest might be a huge step for them, as they are non-believers... however, if you, a friend, were allowed to come and read prayers... light a candle... chant... leave behind an icon of Christ, etc. Bring God to them, as they can't seem to find their own way to Him.

I have printed and laminated prayer cards to hand out to the homeless when I visit and bring them food, etc. One side is Christ, the other is the Lord's Prayer. I put a line at the bottom leading them to the Church Web Page, and printed Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA, in case they get interested in following up. Yet the prayer card is very basic... and "generic"... with only the Lord's Prayer which everyone knows... nothing "too" Orthodox... so as not to "turn" anyone off... but, instead to help them find their way. I could send you a few physical cards, or a digital file you can send to your local printer.

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
How did the story turn out?

hurrrah

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Check their conscience for the presence of serious sins.
Invite a priest: in the breviary there is a prayer about a house being attacked by evil spirits (approximately this is how "молитва о храмине, стужаеме от злых духов" should be translated).