• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Advice Regarding Family and Friends

ignatius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Grace and Peace,

Okay. It appears that I am getting closer to entering into Holy Orthodoxy by entering into the Catechumenate. Unfortunately, I am doing this alone. My wife and my two children aren't coming with me at this time.

As a Roman Catholic and a devoted father this is and has been a very painful and troubling part of my conversion. Should I break any attendance with my Roman Catholic Parish and essentially be separated from my family on Sundays or should I mix our attendance?

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Why don't you ask your Orthodox priest?

Reaction score
I agree with the above. I don't know about the Catholic parish your family attends, but I know here in NJ, most Catholic parishes have 5 or 6 Masses between Saturday night and Sunday night.

Perhaps you would be able to attend (but not commune) with your family at a Mass time that would not conflict with you attending Divine Liturgy? This may be a nice way of still worshiping with your family but still becoming Orthodox?

Jason.Wike

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, ask your priest about this and keep him in the know. That way he will know why you're not there all the time, if you are not, and that he does not misconstrue it as being uncertain if you are committed to Orthodoxy. If he is not aware of what is going on it could possibly appear you are vacillating on the issue I think, which could prolong things quite a bit. That is just how it seems to me, I could be completely wrong though.

Kokomoka

Reaction score
I too have made the journey alone. My husband and rest of family is Catholic, although they don't attend regularly. If my husband attended Mass regularly, I would go with him on Saturday vigil. Not a lot of friction in my case, but still, its hard to go it alone. You will be in my prayers.

NMHS

Site Supporter
Reaction score
ignatius said:
Grace and Peace,

Okay. It appears that I am getting closer to entering into Holy Orthodoxy by entering into the Catechumenate. Unfortunately, I am doing this alone. My wife and my two children aren't coming with me at this time.

As a Roman Catholic and a devoted father this is and has been a very painful and troubling part of my conversion. Should I break any attendance with my Roman Catholic Parish and essentially be separated from my family on Sundays or should I mix our attendance?
Ignatius,  That's a tough question.  Assuming I may be in the same position one day I assume I may be having mixed attendance at the beginning and then go from there.  Although my mixed attendance would have me attending the RC and not vice versa...........or so I believe at the moment. Anyway, my prayers go out to you and your situation.  Caleb