• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Aggressive current atheism showcased in article comments on "new" Dead Sea scrolls

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
Antioch
It was not so long ago that one could find many thoughtful and tolerant atheists among the non-believng crowd. I am sure that there are still many of them around, but the rise of Christopher Hitchen types, social media and other factors make it seem like hyper-aggressive intolerant atheists are in the clear majority. If you take some time to scroll down the comments list of this article (which has recently been posted in the "Christian News" section of OC.net), you will see what I mean. And of course, there are those who have their own ideas inspired by strange theories and some outlying Biblical "scholarship."

Please avoid any political discussion, or the thread will be moved, and warnings may be issued. Thank you.

Last edited:

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Yes
I grew up in California and all the atheists I ran into out there sounded like that. We should be concerned when the lines between the believing and unbelieving become blurred.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Atheists have always seemed boring to me. Conversing with agnostics is more fruitful.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
UOCC
All of the top comments are salty, intellectually-devoid digs. Who cares. Unfortunately, it is a more or less accurate representation of discourse in this country. Christianity is very much the silent majority.

Last edited:

sestir

bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
Christianity is very much the silent majority.
Don't you think Christians are a minority in Canada?
In Europe, it's not unkommon to observe a person who pretends to be Christian, who is a member of a church, and who sometimes post very bad arguments which would seem to be in support of Christianity's raison d'être, and who, in a different context, falsifies history against us or ridicule both belief and faith just like in the comments at CBC. Such people count as Christians in statistics, because that is what they say they are when a pollster calls, but aren't they more likely Atheists or Islamists?

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Yes
I held one of these atheists in my arms as he was dying of cancer and he called for a minister and repented of his sins, professed Jesus Christ as Lord and died in blessed peace. We never know who is watching us. Walk in love and peace.

notnamed88

Reaction score
Faith
Way of The Master
Jurisdiction
Georgia
Don't you think Christians are a minority in Canada?
In Europe, it's not unkommon to observe a person who pretends to be Christian, who is a member of a church, and who sometimes post very bad arguments which would seem to be in support of Christianity's raison d'être, and who, in a different context, falsifies history against us or ridicule both belief and faith just like in the comments at CBC. Such people count as Christians in statistics, because that is what they say they are when a pollster calls, but aren't they more likely Atheists or Islamists?
I wonder about this as it has much to do with our time table for, well; you can guess.