Akathist on first 5 Fridays of the Great Lent in Syriac Orthodox Church?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've just seen photos from Syriac Orthodox church in Saydnaya, Syria from the service of the first stasis of Akathist on the 1st Friday of the Great Lent. The 'installation' looks similarly to such ones in the Antiochian EO churches. The Arabic short text says clearly it is Akathist, Friday of the Great Lent etc. Until now I thought it is tradition among some EOs... Can it be influence from EO in this town?
What's more interesting, at the service there was also patriarch Ignatius Ephrem II.

Source and more photos: https://www.facebook.com/pg/SaydnayaToday/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1095776790486210

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
I read this prayer privately, but I haven’t heard of it as being in use publicly in our churches until now. I’m interested to learn more about how this came to enter modern practice.

Samn!

High Elder
Reaction score
I'd also be super curious to learn more about this. Historically a lot of 'Greek' hymns made it into Syriac Orthodox liturgical practice, but I didn't think the Akathist was one of them... Then, on the other hand, the oddities of the Arabic version of the hymn are due to it being a translation from a loose medieval Syriac translation.