• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Altar and Nave division

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I was curious about something.  I noticed that there have been commentaries that the Coptic Church before the 14th century did not have divisions between the altar and the nave, and that our adoption of the iconostasis was influenced by Byzantine architecture, and then the influence trickled down to the Ethiopians.  I noticed Syriac and Armenian Churches seem to have no iconostasis, but then again, there is still an implicit division of the altar area and the nave.

So my question is this:  before the Roman Empire built cathedrals and legalized Christianity, what was a basic structure for Church liturgy?  Was there restrictions at the time that we know of today, like who is allowed around the altar, or was the altar not a division, but just a table in a certain front area, where at the right time, congregants would approach to partake of the Eucharist without fear of wondering who is or is not allowed near the altar?

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
In some Syriac Churches, there is a veil instead of a Byzantine icon screen or a Western reredo.  Could this be the case of the Coptic Church then?

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Well ~ it ~ the Church ~ was described to me as ~ being designed to reflect the ~ places where ~ Hebrew held Holy Service ```

The roundish part ~ over the alter = The Tent ~ The raised area on which the alter ~ is ~ I believe ~ sanctuary ( we call it " Berma "~ and the nave ~ where congregation ~ sit or stand ```

When we ~ walk behind the alter and forward ~ for the presentation of the Challis ~ is considered the ~ the Holy place ~ where in some Orthodox Churches ~ are shuttered or have doors ```

What think your ```