• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Altarboys

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
Do EO altarboys have to be chanters or readers? If not, how do they vest?

john_mo

High Elder
Reaction score
They don't have to be either.  I don't quite understand the second question.

I prefer the term "acolyte" or "server", since in the EO they are frequently not boys.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Altarboys in Greek tradition are vested in stikharion and orarion arranged similar to that of a subdeacon. Like a subdeacon, the orarion is crossed in an X-shape over the back, but, unlike a subdeacon, the front arms tucked into the "belt" are parallel, not crossed into an X.

Altarboys in Russian/Slavic tradition do not wear an orarion, only a stikharion.

The ranks of readers and chanters can include (former) altarboys, but this is not an essential requirement. In fact, only recently, I was at the ordination of a deacon who had read and chanted for more than 15 years, but had never served as an altarboy.

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
LBK said:
Altarboys in Greek tradition are vested in stikharion and orarion arranged similar to that of a subdeacon. Like a subdeacon, the orarion is crossed in an X-shape over the back, but, unlike a subdeacon, the front arms tucked into the "belt" are parallel, not crossed into an X.

Altarboys in Russian/Slavic tradition do not wear an orarion, only a stikharion.

The ranks of readers and chanters can include (former) altarboys, but this is not an essential requirement. In fact, only recently, I was at the ordination of a deacon who had read and chanted for more than 15 years, but had never served as an altarboy.
If altar boys are lay people and unordained, what is the justification for them to wear vestments? Also, when did the ancient practice of only deacons (and of course priests/bishops) serving in the altar become discontinued and why?

Also, you mention that "former" altarboys can be readers and chanters, does that mean once you become a chanter or reader, you can no longer be an altarboy? How does this make sense if deacons are the rightful altar boys?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
qawe said:
Also, you mention that "former" altarboys can be readers and chanters, does that mean once you become a chanter or reader, you can no longer be an altarboy? How does this make sense if deacons are the rightful altar boys?
I did not say that a chanter or reader can no longer serve in the altar. Some do, if there is a shortage of servers and there are enough voices in the choir to cover for his absence. However, in most cases, if an altar server has moved into the realm of reading and/or chanting, that's where he tends to stay. It's impossible to be in two or three places at once.

I should also mention that an EO deacon is not the same as an OO deacon. EO deacons are ordained members of clergy, and are liturgical assistants to the priest or bishop in ways quite beyond the duties of altar servers.

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
LBK said:
qawe said:
I should also mention that an EO deacon is not the same as an OO deacon. EO deacons are ordained members of clergy, and are liturgical assistants to the priest or bishop in ways quite beyond the duties of altar servers.
An OO deacon is the same as an EO deacon - ie are part of the clergy, cannot get married. I know what you are trying to say, most Copts incorrectly think that anyone in the minor orders is a "deacon", but I can assure you that I personally do understand what a deacon actually is.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
qawe said:
LBK said:
qawe said:
An OO deacon is the same as an EO deacon - ie are part of the clergy, cannot get married. I know what you are trying to say, most Copts incorrectly think that anyone in the minor orders is a "deacon", but I can assure you that I personally do understand what a deacon actually is.
Thank you for clarifying. The way many (most?) OOs here have used the word deacon is as a synonym for altar server.

Reaction score
qawe said:
LBK said:

If altar boys are lay people and unordained, what is the justification for them to wear vestments? Also, when did the ancient practice of only deacons (and of course priests/bishops) serving in the altar become discontinued and why?

As a small aside, aren't the vestments symbolic of the grace of God on the person as they do their ecclesiastical duties?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
My nephews serve in the Altar.

Their vestments have a cross sewn on the back.  The boys fold their stichar in such a way that the cross is on top.  They lay it across their arms and go before the priest to get his blessing.  Once he blesses them (and the robe), they kiss the cross on the stichar, and then retreat to the side room to put it on.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
What about scratch-and-sniff stichars?  ;D

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:

Their vestments have a cross sewn on the back.  The boys fold their stichar in such a way that the cross is on top.  They lay it across their arms and go before the priest to get his blessing.  Once he blesses them (and the robe), they kiss the cross on the stichar, and then retreat to the side room to put it on.

You have such a cheerful church! I love the children.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
LizaSymonenko said:

You have such a cheerful church! I love the children.
Seconded. A lovely and inspiring picture.  :)