• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

"Americans continue leaving church - most aren't coming back."

Christos3

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
I live in Texas and the mega churches, Baptist churched are filled and offering many services throughout the week. The non-denominational churches are popping up and moving from their rental space (school, shopping center, etc.) and into their new buildings. Our Orthodox churches seem to do ok here, however I see less youth in church and taking part in church sponsored events.

We moved around a lot when I was younger and never established roots in an Orthodox community. Out of my siblings, I am the only one that attends church regularly. My wife and I have done our best to raise our children in the Orthodox faith, but the only time the one in college steps into a church is when he is visiting us. I admit, I was the same in college. I pray that once he graduates; he is a participating Orthodox Christian.

Anyway, here is the story from the Christian Post

https://www.christianpost.com/news/...t-coming-back.html?clickType=link-topbar-news

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
It's a trend that has been continuing for years. With megachurches, it's not common for members to be there for life. They go seek better and more interesting programs and experiences. Things have to stay fresh, which is why any megachurch that is worth anything has a marketing department.

Claudius

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
That's very sad. So many young people falling away from God.

God bless you for trying to raise your children to be good Orthodox Christians. What you describe is one of my biggest fears about ever bringing children of my own into this increasingly secularized world. I pray that your son survives college with his faith intact and returns to Christ's Church! 🙏

MarkosC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
My impression matches @Vladimir Al-Masih. Further, I'd say that many of these churches - from the small nondemon church to the mega churches - seem to be extended social networks (megachurches being more extended than the small church of course) and highly dependent on the personalities of leadership, something that's foreign to and honestly doesn't sit well with me (simply from a personal level, not saying they are fake Christians).

The news article definitely to my mind points to something sociological. It seems to imply the key is family participation: if the family is only modestly into it, then the next generation these days see little need to be into it. It kind of reminds me of something I heard about Orthodox clergy vocations these days: they either come from the sons of clergy or from zealous converts; IIRC it was alleged very few people come in from full-up lay families these days. If so, this would not be surprising: the Latin church describes this phenomenon as the "domestic church": our faith and prayer at home is what teaches children the Faith.

@Christos3 I imagine you did your best, and all you could. (definitely don't feel guilty!) Maybe it's best for us to pray, be positive, and leave things in God's hands?

BasilCan

Elder
Reaction score
Our children are leaving the church....hello people....our western society is not Christian any more. Like humanity has done for thousands of years, the people are adopting the religion of the society. In this case the religion is "western humanism secularism" Keep our families Orthodox Christian? We are going to have to adopt the separatism of groups such as the Amish and Hasidic Jews.

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
Our children are leaving the church....hello people....our western society is not Christian any more. Like humanity has done for thousands of years, the people are adopting the religion of the society. In this case the religion is "western humanism secularism" Keep our families Orthodox Christian? We are going to have to adopt the separatism of groups such as the Amish and Hasidic Jews.
The Amish aren't separatists, you can get the same tax exclusion, send me a pm.
I wouldn't be surprised some Amish did troll this site, some of them are.masters of deception. I once bought a shoo-fly pie, some Amish stole my wheelcaps. Well either way I blamed the Amish. They aren't nice people necessarily.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
I don't agree. No need to alter our outward appearance. Orthodoxy is a spiritual practice. Being OK with God has nothing to do with the human weakness and need to belong to an organized group. We are followers of god and not man.