• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

An Abusive Baptism

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This seems like child abuse to me. I can't believe that this is considered to be an acceptable form of baptism. This infant was put in harm's way. So much could have easily gone wrong. It seems like this priest was trying to show off, and it really disturbs me. And it certainly doesn't reflect well on Orthodoxy. 

https://www.facebook.com/Fnewsofficial/videos/1865296766873707/?hc_ref=ARTYhe7PEeYFWBuioB2ciQMTC6gKJa-9g2SWuvX9Y-OPbfslgEoBQ5Sg0MyCtkPnH6U

Selam

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I hope the authorities were contacted.

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Better than one I saw once where the baby was flipped upside down for the second dunk, with the dunks going faster than they were in this video.

Edit: here’s the link to what I’m referring to https://youtu.be/C6ju9OTBcxw

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Wth. I mean, what?  Admittedly, I cringe when I see a person holding an infant without supporting/cradling their head to compensate for the undeveloped neck muscles, so I'm kind of a worrier generally. And I get that infants naturally go rigid when experiencing sudden drops, but... seriously?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Asteriktos said:
Wth. I mean, what?  Admittedly, I cringe when I see a person holding an infant without supporting/cradling their head to compensate for the undeveloped neck muscles, so I'm kind of a worrier generally. And I get that infants naturally go rigid when experiencing sudden drops, but... seriously?
Yeah, I found this deeply disturbing.

Selam

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Maximilian said:
It's always in Georgia, isn't it?  :mad:
Until it's in Romania,

or Russia,

or Greece.

Poverty and apathy exacerbating poor education knows no borders.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Isn't some antiochian parish? I am seeing pews in the back and I think I heard the priest saying ''Qudus''.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
juliogb said:
Isn't some antiochian parish? I am seeing pews in the back and I think I heard the priest saying ''Qudus''.
Yeah, the priest says the formula in Arabic. The second video seems to be from Georgia.

Some time ago a Polish Orthodox priest said to me that after a pilgrimage to Georgia he started to baptism childnre.. Well, maybe not exactly in such way as presented in the videos, in cold water, as "water is natural environment for such child, so nothing bad can happen to him/her". He's quite well educated priest, doing PhD.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Overkill.  Just watching it made me cringe.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Maximilian said:
It's always in Georgia, isn't it?  :mad:
Until it's in Romania,

or Russia,

or Greece.

Poverty and apathy exacerbating poor education knows no borders.
Stay woke.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Is this a real video, or did somebody create a fake?

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Here's an extended video of higher quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFGHerqhSC8

Personally, I think the Baby's face after the Baptism says it all

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:
Better than one I saw once where the baby was flipped upside down for the second dunk, with the dunks going faster than they were in this video.

Edit: here’s the link to what I’m referring to https://youtu.be/C6ju9OTBcxw
that's like 6 partial immersions: I'm assured by clergy aquatinences that in my hometown baptisms are still done by pouring water on the forehead except when overly pious parents ask otherwise. Then  the priest obliges but not joyfully.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Would it be possible from an Orthodox view to dunk the baby feet-first up to the chest and then do the rest of him by effusion?

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'd dig it to be baptized like that! 8)

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Would it be possible from an Orthodox view to dunk the baby feet-first up to the chest and then do the rest of him by effusion?
Without commenting on its propriety either way, this is the most common method in some places.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Antonis said:
Volnutt said:
Without commenting on its propriety either way, this is the most common method in some places.
Ah, I didn't know that. I was just thinking in terms of hypotheticals.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish all priests used the proper baptismal technique.  These are far from the way it should be done.