• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

An Evangelical in the Russian Orthodox Church?

Loukas

Reaction score
Website
holyapostles-orthodox.org
An interesting perspective on Fr. Alexander Men from an Anabaptist viewpoint:

An Evangelical in the Russian Orthodox Church: Fr. Alexander Men (1935-1990)

http://www.directionjournal.org/article/?933

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
An interesting perspective indeed. Albeit a syncreatist one. I was of the impression that anabaptists were clearly defined as heretics. Instead to me, this article shows the powerful and prayerful work of Fr. Alexander Men as an Orthodox priest. However, I don't like how the author is comparing similarities of Orthodoxy to Anabaptism. If one wants the real thing, accept no imitations. They should join the true church of Christ.

Maybe I'm just anal

Bobby

Loukas

Reaction score
Website
holyapostles-orthodox.org
The good part is that they recognize that what he calls the "common evangelical spirituality" is alive in the Orthodox Church. Where the clear distinction comes in is where he expresses the universal anabaptist rejection of any kind of church/state symphonia. Sure, they may have something valuable to witness to Orthodoxy, but they can't do it by remaining outside the family.

loukas