• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

An OO parish has been established in Finland

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
A parish of Ethiopian Orthodox Church has been established in Finland. The parish's priest lives in Denmark.

Bishop Hagos of Northern Europe visited in Helsinki in June to establish a parish which serves Ethiopians in their own language. Parish's Ethiopian priest Zemichael Deressa Seboka lives in Denmark and visits Finland couple of times a year.

There are 800 Ethiopians in Finland. Many of them are members of Helsinki's [Eastern] Orthodox parish. Even before Ethiopians have arranged own activity lead by the priest who lives in Denmark. Events has been organized in the facilities of Helsinki's [Eastern] Orthodox parish.

[EO] metropolitan Ambrose of Helsinki understands many Ethiopian's urge to have their own parish. Many feel that it is important to participate services in their own language with their own liturgical tradition. Finnish Orthodox Church and Ethiopian Orthodox Church are also officially not in communion with each other so some Ethiopians doesn't want to participate the Eucharist of an another church.

- Bishop Hagos is of that opinion that members of Ethiopian Orthodox Church should not take part of our Eucharist. Still, we have had a custom of eucharistic hospitality and we will continue that custom, metropolitan Ambrosius says.

There are dozens of Ethiopians who participate in Helsinki's [Eastern] Orthodox parish's activities and will continue there despite establishing of the new parish.

Ethiopian Orthodox Church is a part of Oriental Orthodox Church who was separated from the undivided church of the time. There are Ethiopian Orthodox Christians who live in diaspora in Australia, Europe, USA and all around the World.

The Ethiopian Church has 30 million members and is led by patriarch Paulos.
Source (in Finnish)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Many years!  :angel:

kijabeboy03

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Alexandrian Orthodox Church Abroad
Wonderful news!

Apu

Reaction score
Dear moderators ,
                        Can anybody give me the details of Oriental Orthodox Churches in Finland (especially around Vaasa) ?

Apu Jose

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Apu said:
Dear moderators ,
                       Can anybody give me the details of Oriental Orthodox Churches in Finland (especially around Vaasa) ?

Apu Jose
There aren't any. OO clergy might visit Finland occasionally but there aren't any actual OO church buildings with regular or even irregular services. Many OO immigrants attend services of Eastern Orthodox church of Finland so you might want to contact local EO parish. Maybe they know whether there are other OOs in your area.

Contact information of the EO parish of Vaasa:

Koulukatu 45
65100 VAASA
telephone 0206 100495
fax (06) 312 4063
vaasa @ ort.fi

The office is open on wednesdays during 01.00pm-04.00pm except on great feasts.

Father Matti Wallgrén
telephone 0206 100499
matti.wallgren @ ort.fi  

Apu

Reaction score
Dear Alpo,
              Thank you for your information.
Apu Jose

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I was just looking at the latest issue of Smithsonian, a magazine put out by the Smithsonian museums in Washington DC.  There is an interesting article on public education in Finland which is top notch and how the schools deal with recent immigrants and refugees in Finland.  Also religion is taught in the schools.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orest said:
Also religion is taught in the schools.
IIRC, that doesn't mean that the teaching of religion is nor should be confessional. Pupils do not pray on lessons. They rather learn information about their religion and also of other religions. At least on theoretical and official level, that is. In practice that pretty much applies only to Lutheran religion. Teachers of other faiths tend to bend the rules a bit. :angel:

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Orest said:
IIRC, that doesn't mean that the teaching of religion is nor should be confessional. Pupils do not pray on lessons. They rather learn information about their religion and also of other religions. At least on theoretical and official level, that is. In practice that pretty much applies only to Lutheran religion. Teachers of other faiths tend to bend the rules a bit. :angel:
I am surprised.  Have there been recent changes?  I ask because when Archbishop Augustine spoke at a conference on Eastern Orthodoxy in Finland, he mentioned that Orthodox priests go into the schools to teach their own Orthodox children religion during school hours.  Also we saw pictures of a school in Karelia with an icon of Christ in the classroom.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orest said:
Alpo said:
Orest said:
I am surprised.  Have there been recent changes?
"Confessional teaching of religion" was changed to "teaching of one's own religion" in Finnish law in 2003. National Core Curriculum's regulations for teaching of religion in basic education can be found here. The document is from 2004 but I don't think the situation has changed much from that.

I ask because when Archbishop Augustine spoke at a conference on Eastern Orthodoxy in Finland, he mentioned that Orthodox priests go into the schools to teach their own Orthodox children religion during school hours.
It is possible if those priests have graduated as a teacher of religion from the university or if there aren't any actual teachers available.