• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Analysis: Archbishop Gregory says he won’t deny Biden communion. How will Catholics respond?

bwallace23350

Reaction score
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/...en-communion-how-will-catholics-respond-51669
Washington’s archbishop, who will be made a cardinal this weekend, told a journalist Tuesday that in his diocese, he will not deny Holy Communion to a politician who has pledged to enshrine access to abortion in federal law and permit federal funding of abortions. That politician is President-elect Joe Biden.

Archbishop Wilton Gregory’s comment is sure to raise questions about the Church’s pro-life witness. But for some Catholics, the remark might also raise questions about the sincerity of U.S. bishops on the topic of ecclesial reform.

What shame. I am highly disappointed.

Lets look at what a Pope had to say when he was a cardinal:
In 2004, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, then head of the Church’s doctrinal office, told U.S. bishops in a memo that a Catholic politician “consistently campaigning and voting for permissive abortion and euthanasia laws” is engaged in “manifest,” and “formal cooperation” in grave sin.

In such a case, the politician’s “pastor should meet with him, instructing him about the Church’s teaching, informing him that he is not to present himself for Holy Communion until he brings to an end the objective situation of sin, and warning him that he will otherwise be denied the Eucharist,” Ratzinger wrote.

If the Catholic perseveres in grave sin and still presents himself for Holy Communion, “the minister of Holy Communion must refuse to distribute it.”

Ratzinger’s memo was an application of canon 915 of the Code of Canon Law, which says that Catholics “obstinately persevering in manifest grave sin are not to be admitted to holy communion.”

In short, Ratzinger’s memo gave bishops instruction on how to apply the Church’s law. On Tuesday, Archbishop Gregory said he has no plans to do so.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Pleasing men instead of pleasing God. As old as sin.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
A Pope Francis appointee. Did we expect any less?

boggyman

Reaction score
Do you really think most Orthodox hierarchs in America would deny communion if the President were Orthodox?

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
Hmmm. I think someone who doesn’t have a spirit of submission to the church’s teaching on life and sexuality has a spiritual problem. If we pick and choose from the faith we received, we are not submitting to God as our Father and the Church as our mother. It is creating a sort of consumer-based faith, that has a disregard for truth. I believe all of my hierarchy would agree with that. They would also agree that complete repentance must precede the reception of the Eucharist. I don’t know how someone who justifies certain sins can have complete repentance.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that the search engine is almost nonfunctional for older posts. I am pretty sure there is a thread around 2008 (but it could have arose later) about the same situation with Archbishop Iakovos, of blessed memory, and presidential candidate Michael Dukakis.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that the search engine is almost nonfunctional for older posts. I am pretty sure there is a thread around 2008 (but it could have arose later) about the same situation with Archbishop Iakovos, of blessed memory, and presidential candidate Michael Dukakis.
I posted about this recently with the New York Times article here. Archbishop Iakovos insulted people who criticized Dukakis' pro-choice stance and made it clear that he didn't care.