Anchor Bible Commentaries?

AmatorDeus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgalloway.net
I found a seller on eBay who has lots of volumes of this commentary on eBay, but the auction had no information on what group publishes it. Does anyone here know anything about it? I'm assuming it's a Protestant commentary but I wanted to be sure. Thanks.

spiros

Reaction score
HI David,
Some of these are Protestant, some are Catholic Authors, multi-volume VERY Academic new translations with commentary. editor/authors include Fr. Raymond Brown (Gospel of John)- IMHO the Anchor bibles can tend to be theologically liberal. Get to a good library and look at a set before you pay, even at $5.oo a volume, a set is expensive! Psalms alone is a 3-4 volume set.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
The only one I have read through is the translation/commentary on james (which I also got off Ebay :) ). From what I've seen, they have a pretty high reputation (among "scholars") as far as such things go. The one I have is by a Catholic, but as with most modern liberal scholarship, it's difficult to tell the difference between Catholic and Protestant theory/speculation. Most of the stuff in the series probably isn't good to be reading (it might be false, but stick in your brain since it comes from something of an authoritative source). On the other hand, it's very helpful for reference, and can add a different dimension if you are interesting in studying a particular book or passage in depth.

formerroadie

Reaction score
i am a biblical scholar who is Orthodox and I like the Anchor series. Yes, it can be liberal at times, but raising questions is a good thing. Just make sure you have someone around who is cabable of sorting things out for you if you are not able to yourself. I don't own the whole series. I tend to pick certain scholars. I really like Attridge's volume on Hebrew, Elliot's volume on 2 Peter and Neyrey's on Jude and 1 Peter. Good books. I know Elliot and Neyrey personally and they do careful work. I don't always agree with them, but they are attentive to the text and context of scripture.

also, protestant based commentaries tend to leave things out while Catholics tend to take everything into account. Sure, their point of reference is a little off to me because of their ecclesiology, etc, but Catholic theologians are at times more honest than protestant theologians. Therefore, I gravitate toward Catholic based commentary series, although there are times when there is a protestant theologian that I enjoy.

jason