Ancient churches in Lalibela: built by aliens?

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
FantaLimon said:
How I loathe the History Channel of late...

I believe this is appropriate?

Maybe Mr. Tsoukalos can co-host a show with the 'spirit' of Nostradamus, via the guys from those stupid ghost shows on Sci-Fy Channel. I would call it 'Celebrity Hillbilly Hand-Fishing..' The Kardashian sisters could be the first guests. Whadda ya think? I'm smelling mega-hit!!! :)

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I respectfully plead with everyone not to mock the Faith and Traditions of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. Ask questions, express your doubts, but please don't mock holy things. It is unproductive at best, and spiritually dangerous at worst.

As for the "aliens" theory, I will accept the wisdom of Church teaching over and above the vain speculations of secular sources like the History Channel.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Michał Kalina said:
No one is mocking anything here but those idiots who made that 'documentary'.
I was referring to these posts, which I found irreverent and unproductive to the issue at hand. I don't mean to be overly senstive, but I just think that as Orthodox Christians we should not mock the faith and traditions of our brethren. We are attacked, ridiculed, and mocked day and night by the world, so it saddens me when Orthodox Christians demean the faith of their own brethren. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40365.msg655154.html#msg655154

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40365.msg655201.html#msg655201

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Michał Kalina said:
I was referring to these posts, which I found irreverent and unproductive to the issue at hand. I don't mean to be overly senstive, but I just think that as Orthodox Christians we should not mock the faith and traditions of our brethren. We are attacked, ridiculed, and mocked day and night by the world, so it saddens me when Orthodox Christians demean the faith of their own brethren. 

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40365.msg655154.html#msg655154

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,40365.msg655201.html#msg655201
Ge'ez Gebre, take it easy. I'm not trying to mock you, just having some fun. And sometimes it's not just flippant and is meant to serve a purpose. Also, I've had people poke at me on this board before as well, and people sometimes make a mockery of what I believe. Doesn't matter. Just part of life. :)

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Asteriktos said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Michał Kalina said:

Ge'ez Gebre, take it easy. I'm not trying to mock you, just having some fun. And sometimes it's not just flippant and is meant to serve a purpose. Also, I've had people poke at me on this board before as well, and people sometimes make a mockery of what I believe. Doesn't matter. Just part of life. :)

Your comment wasn't that offensive, more so Iconodule's. I certainly don't mind being teased personally (heck, if I couldn't take being personally mocked, I'd have never lasted this long on this forum), but I just think we should all be careful about denigrating the traditions of our fellow Orthodox brethren. Best to err on the side of not causing offense, IMHO.

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
...I just think we should all be careful about denigrating the traditions of our fellow Orthodox brethren. Best to err on the side of not causing offense, IMHO.
Ok, good point :)

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Is Ge'ez really the faith and tradition of the Ethiopian church?  I would find it odd that a communion would have proclaimed the True Language, instead of the True Faith.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
JamesRottnek said:
Is Ge'ez really the faith and tradition of the Ethiopian church?  I would find it odd that a communion would have proclaimed the True Language, instead of the True Faith.
I think it is a local tradition of the EOTC. Sort of like how Salpy said that Armenians call Armenian "the holy language". But do correct me if I am mistaken.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Severian said:
JamesRottnek said:
I think it is a local tradition of the EOTC. Sort of like how Salpy said that Armenians call Armenian "the holy language". But do correct me if I am mistaken.

Correct.

Selam

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I didn't watch that silly youtube clip but I just wanted to added some substance here.

The oral traditions around Lalibela ascribe that angels built the Churches, that men worked by day, and the Angels came in at night working at a miraculous pace. However, when you push guides or historians to speak further, some Ethiopian oral and written sources specifically attribute the building to the assistance of white people with red hair.  These of course the the Knights Templar, redheaded Frenchmen who had been quite active in Jerusalem where we know from mutual historical sources that they came into contact with the Ethiopians there.  Lalibela himself was temporarily exiled in Jerusalem for approximately 11 years, and some sources suggest that the Emperor himself had been in contact with these Knights, and that they may have accompanied him back to Ethiopia to help with the building project.  Saint Lalibela intended to build a New Jerusalem for the purposes of pilgrimage because the Ethiopians were beginning to have trouble getting to Jerusalem because of the beef between the Europeans and the Muslims (who had previously and mostly been quite friendly towards the Ethiopians).  If you look across the architecture of these superb monolith buildings, you find a lot of suggestive evidence of Templar presence, such as the very obvious Templar crosses which are carved in several of the Churches at Roha/Lalibela.

While this has become fantasy and historical fiction by some pseudo-authors, there is a lot of substantial truth to the history of French Templar involvement in Ethiopia.  Even in etymology, the term for "white/foreigner" in Amharic is "Ferenj" or literally, "Frank"

Also a note, the current Crown Prince of Ethiopia, His Imperial Highness Zere Yacob Asfa Wossen Haile Selassie (who is recognized by the Patriarch as the Hons Fonorum of Ethiopia), is also the official Imperial protector of the contemporary Order of the Knights Templar in Jerusalem. I have connections directly with HIH but I haven't even had the heart to ask what that is all about by the way,I might not want to know the answer.  The  pseudo-history and conspiracy theorists suggest the Templars were looking for the Ark, and I wouldn't doubt it.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
So Ge'ez is the faith and tradition of Ethiopia?  And the Ethiopians say they are a Church?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
JamesRottnek said:
So Ge'ez is the faith and tradition of Ethiopia?  And the Ethiopians say they are a Church?
What are you asking brother? Ge'ez is the liturgical language of our Church. Our tradition maintains that Ge'ez was the language spoken in the Garden of Eden (perhaps one language among many that were spoken without confusion at that time). Our tradition also maintains that the rock hewn Churches of Lalibela were built with the assistance of angels who came by night.

We are Orthodox Christians, and our Faith does not hinge upon language or buildings. Our Faith is based upon Christ, His Cross, and His Church. That being said, we uphold our sacred traditions; and we do not defer them to the whims of secular science or the specious speculations of secular history.

Selam

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
JamesRottnek said:
So Ge'ez is the faith and tradition of Ethiopia?  And the Ethiopians say they are a Church?
What are you asking brother? Ge'ez is the liturgical language of our Church. Our tradition maintains that Ge'ez was the language spoken in the Garden of Eden (perhaps one language among many that were spoken without confusion at that time). Our tradition also maintains that the rock hewn Churches of Lalibela were built with the assistance of angels who came by night.

We are Orthodox Christians, and our Faith does not hinge upon language or buildings. Our Faith is based upon Christ, His Cross, and His Church. That being said, we uphold our sacred traditions; and we do not defer them to the whims of secular science or the specious speculations of secular history.

Selam
Great post, particularly the last paragraph.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
HabteSelassie said:
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I didn't watch that silly youtube clip but I just wanted to added some substance here.

The oral traditions around Lalibela ascribe that angels built the Churches, that men worked by day, and the Angels came in at night working at a miraculous pace. However, when you push guides or historians to speak further, some Ethiopian oral and written sources specifically attribute the building to the assistance of white people with red hair.  These of course the the Knights Templar, redheaded Frenchmen who had been quite active in Jerusalem where we know from mutual historical sources that they came into contact with the Ethiopians there.  Lalibela himself was temporarily exiled in Jerusalem for approximately 11 years, and some sources suggest that the Emperor himself had been in contact with these Knights, and that they may have accompanied him back to Ethiopia to help with the building project.  Saint Lalibela intended to build a New Jerusalem for the purposes of pilgrimage because the Ethiopians were beginning to have trouble getting to Jerusalem because of the beef between the Europeans and the Muslims (who had previously and mostly been quite friendly towards the Ethiopians).  If you look across the architecture of these superb monolith buildings, you find a lot of suggestive evidence of Templar presence, such as the very obvious Templar crosses which are carved in several of the Churches at Roha/Lalibela.

While this has become fantasy and historical fiction by some pseudo-authors, there is a lot of substantial truth to the history of French Templar involvement in Ethiopia.  Even in etymology, the term for "white/foreigner" in Amharic is "Ferenj" or literally, "Frank"

Also a note, the current Crown Prince of Ethiopia, His Imperial Highness Zere Yacob Asfa Wossen Haile Selassie (who is recognized by the Patriarch as the Hons Fonorum of Ethiopia), is also the official Imperial protector of the contemporary Order of the Knights Templar in Jerusalem. I have connections directly with HIH but I haven't even had the heart to ask what that is all about by the way,I might not want to know the answer.  The  pseudo-history and conspiracy theorists suggest the Templars were looking for the Ark, and I wouldn't doubt it.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I have read plausible theories about the Knights Templar assisting in the construction of the Lalibela Churches. However, I take exception to the notion that this discounts the presence and assistance of Holy Angels in the process. Secular historians would have us believe that such wondrous architectural feats were only possible with the help of ET's and white people rather than the faithful endeavors of righteous African Christians who were assisted by the help of holy angels. Let us not cast our holy pearls before Babylon's swine.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Severian said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
JamesRottnek said:

Selam
Great post, particularly the last paragraph.

Thanks brother.

Selam

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
HabteSelassie said:

The oral traditions around Lalibela ascribe that angels built the Churches, that men worked by day, and the Angels came in at night working at a miraculous pace. However, when you push guides or historians to speak further, some Ethiopian oral and written sources specifically attribute the building to the assistance of white people with red hair.  These of course the the Knights Templar, redheaded Frenchmen who had been quite active in Jerusalem where we know from mutual historical sources that they came into contact with the Ethiopians there.  Lalibela himself was temporarily exiled in Jerusalem for approximately 11 years, and some sources suggest that the Emperor himself had been in contact with these Knights, and that they may have accompanied him back to Ethiopia to help with the building project.  Saint Lalibela intended to build a New Jerusalem for the purposes of pilgrimage because the Ethiopians were beginning to have trouble getting to Jerusalem because of the beef between the Europeans and the Muslims (who had previously and mostly been quite friendly towards the Ethiopians).  If you look across the architecture of these superb monolith buildings, you find a lot of suggestive evidence of Templar presence, such as the very obvious Templar crosses which are carved in several of the Churches at Roha/Lalibela.

While this has become fantasy and historical fiction by some pseudo-authors, there is a lot of substantial truth to the history of French Templar involvement in Ethiopia.  Even in etymology, the term for "white/foreigner" in Amharic is "Ferenj" or literally, "Frank"

Also a note, the current Crown Prince of Ethiopia, His Imperial Highness Zere Yacob Asfa Wossen Haile Selassie (who is recognized by the Patriarch as the Hons Fonorum of Ethiopia), is also the official Imperial protector of the contemporary Order of the Knights Templar in Jerusalem. I have connections directly with HIH but I haven't even had the heart to ask what that is all about by the way,I might not want to know the answer.  The  pseudo-history and conspiracy theorists suggest the Templars were looking for the Ark, and I wouldn't doubt it.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I have read plausible theories about the Knights Templar assisting in the construction of the Lalibela Churches. However, I take exception to the notion that this discounts the presence and assistance of Holy Angels in the process. Secular historians would have us believe that such wondrous architectural feats were only possible with the help of ET's and white people rather than the faithful endeavors of righteous African Christians who were assisted by the help of holy angels. Let us not cast our holy pearls before Babylon's swine.

Selam
Thank you for that reminder, the achievements made in FAITH by the Ethiopians are no more, or less, astounding than the construction techniques used by the Byzantines in erecting Hagia Sophia, or the pre-Christian Romans in building the Pantheon, for 1600 years now consecrated and preserved as the Church known as the Santa Maria Rotonda. No one (excepting crackpots like the ones in the program) would presume ET helped build those Romans or Greeks and it is culturally insensitive to make a 'fakeumentary' like that of the "History" channel. They should stick to the Kardashians on channels like that and leave the real history to Ken Burns and PBS!

jnorm888

Archon
Reaction score
Website
ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com
Andrew21091 said:
Claiming that aliens built these churches or the pyramids is just white who try to explain away the fact that people of color were able to build amazing structures while their ancestors were bear baiting and living in huts.
They try and say the samething about stone-hinge too!

The sad thing is people all over are actually believing this stuff from the History Channel. I guess they feel that since it's the History Channel it must be true.

I see this as a negative side affect of Progressivism. Progressivism looks down on those of the past. It sees them as primitive, un-educated, stupid, un-enlightened .......etc.

Progessivim doesn't want to believe that our ancestors were smart. That they were able to build great things, and do great things.