• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Angels in the "Extreme Humility" icon

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Hello all,

Question: Do the two angels in some versions of the "extreme humility" icon represent the sun and moon, as they do in the Crucifixion icon? Or something else?

brlon

Reaction score
Resurrection Evlogitaria, tone 5/first plagal:  "The company of angels was amazed seeing Thee numbered amongst the dead..."
Sung at matins on Sundays, and on Lazarus Saturday and Holy & Great Saturday.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
In Crucifixion icons, I haven't seen angels "represent" the sun and moon.  I've seen anthropomorphized suns and moons, but the angels are just angels doing as brion posted; or at the sides of Jesus with chalice and cloth, as seen in this example.

But, this is only my experience from what I have seen.

Edit:  I think I have seen more icons of Extreme Humility without angels than with.