• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Another obstacle

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I'll try to make this short.

After the plethora of storms/earthquakes/hurricanes/etc, that have hit my area, my husband and I have been working non-stop. Basically, when he gets home around 10 PM, we eat dinner and go to sleep or I return and work until 1 AM or so. There has been a lot of work coming in for him because of the disasters, and we haven't been able go to church for the past few weeks. It's that bad.

We had to go out of town and attend an Episcopalian service with some friends today (not an ideal situation...we were kind of railroaded into it, but we did not participate -- simply observed) and I was just realizing that I really miss attending DL or Vespers. Our sponsors have very high-stress careers and their schedules are worse than ours. We have been trying to coordinate with our priest, but everything has been getting canceled for the past few months.

Besides our physical conditions deteriorating with so much work, we haven't been able to attend to the spiritual side of our lives. I'll just speak for myself and say that my prayer life is quite lacking and I have had little time to sit down and read for a while. We are getting pretty frustrated. My priest has been ready to chrismate me for the past few months, but nothing has fell into place and I feel like things are getting worse.

I know that times are tough but I hope we are able to make more time for God and His Church. I also hope that us, our priest, and our sponsors will all be able to meet on the same day and set a chrismation/baptism date, hopefully before Christmas!

I would appreciate any prayers, although we are unworthy.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
O theos ehei!

This is a phrase in Greek that I loved when I lived there.  it means literally "God's god it!"

Let Him be the one who unites you to His flock.  Worry less, pray more.  Don't let your personal prayer life deteriorate as well.  And also do not allow yourself to make the mistake of thinking that your personal prayer is not efficacious.  I know that communal prayer is important (trust me), but when it is just not possible b/c of things outside of your control...well, then let Him who created the world take care of that issue. 

Lord have Mercy!  on you and your husband!