• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Another question about judging.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I was reading 1 Corinthians yesterday and came across this verse in chapter 5,

"9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

Is St. Paul saying that we ARE to judge each other (Orthodox Christians)?  My OSB is at work and I couldn't find any other comments so here's what this is saying to me; we are to judge the actions or behaviors our Christian brothers and sisters but not judge the person.  Yet it is the person whom we are to distance ourselves from.  How does this play out in the Church?  Is it only the priest that excommunicates the offender, or are we each responsible for distancing ourselves from each other?  With so much in the New Testament about NOT judging, I found this a little odd.  Can any of you all shed some light on this?

Regnare

High Elder
Reaction score
As I understand it, Biblical warnings about judgment chiefly involve judging the state of another's soul. Rather than attempt to declare whether or not someone is "going to hell", we should assume that we are first among sinners, further from heaven than everybody else, because they may be sincerely repentant but battling a weak will. But we should still do our best to avoid associating with unrepentant sinners so that we aren't led to imitate them.