• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Antiochian vs Greek

JessicaH

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I attend my Greek Orthodox Church on Sunday's but they do not offer any weekday services/bible study/etc.  I would really like to go mid-week or something.  The Antiochian Church does.  What is the difference?  The church I attend now is 90% English. Also, they are in communion with one another, correct?

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
JessicaH said:
I attend my Greek Orthodox Church on Sunday's but they do not offer any weekday services/bible study/etc.  I would really like to go mid-week or something.  The Antiochian Church does.  What is the difference?  The church I attend now is 90% English. Also, they are in communion with one another, correct?
The Greek Archdiocese of America and the Antiochian Archdiocese are in communion.  The differences, aside from the bishops, are mostly cultural.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Yes, they're in communion. The Antiochian jurisdiction was historically comprised of Arab parishes but they've had a lot of converts in the past few decades, especially from American evangelical groups. The services will probably be mostly or entirely in English. The liturgy itself is pretty much the same as in the GOA.

homedad76

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
The Antiochian Church is best known for absorbing most of the Evangelical Orthodox Church so in some areas it likely will consist of a large number of non-Arabs.  But of course this will vary from diocese to diocese.  The Antiochian churches near me are mostly Arabic culturally.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
homedad76 said:
The Antiochian Church is best known for absorbing most of the Evangelical Orthodox Church so in some areas it likely will consist of a large number of non-Arabs.  But of course this will vary from diocese to diocese.  The Antiochian churches near me are mostly Arabic culturally.
Same in CNY...my son had a good experience in Albany with a culturally Arabic parish..nice people...

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
podkarpatska said:
homedad76 said:
Same in CNY...my son had a good experience in Albany with a culturally Arabic parish..nice people...
I know that parish.  :)

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Mor Ephrem said:
podkarpatska said:
homedad76 said:
As did his wife who was a new convert at that time in their lives..

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
podkarpatska said:
Mor Ephrem said:
podkarpatska said:
homedad76 said:
As did his wife who was a new convert at that time in their lives..
It holds a special place in my heart, even though I ended up adopting a local OCA parish as my regular college church.