• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Antiochian WRO growth

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ROCOR's WRV is pretty good about letting people know when it has added a congregation, clergyman, etc.

Antioch in recent years, not so much.

Is there any place to track the Antiochian WRV's progress?

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I don't know where to find the statistics for such things, but I know someone who works on the Archdiocesan web site and maybe he can point me to something (stay tuned). 

My experience is that (and I made this note on another thread) western rite churches tend to close almost as soon as they are open.  We have a WRO church here in town and the fact that they are still open surprises me.  They are losing members to the other Eastern Rite jurisdictions and can't keep the ones that they have.  They were recently hit by a loss of a very faithful deacon and the departure of a very gifted cantor so the music in the parish has gone down hill.  And, as ridiculous as that can come off, that is very important for a lot of people.  There is one parish in the Western RIte vicariate which has been touted as the "model" for other WRO churches:  ST. Benedict down in Texas (where there are several other WRO churches too). 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
My experience is that (and I made this note on another thread) western rite churches tend to close almost as soon as they are open.  We have a WRO church here in town and the fact that they are still open surprises me.  They are losing members to the other Eastern Rite jurisdictions and can't keep the ones that they have.
There's a former WR parish I travel near occasionally that is now closed but changed over to ER before shuttering. The move didn't make sense to me, since it was a mass conversion parish coming from a western-patrimony tradition and the city at that time already had three ER parishes. But that was under a different bishop and the priest is not longer an active clergyman, so who knows?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Founding a new WRO parish from scratch (as opposed to a mass conversion of an existing parish) is bound to be really, really difficult. Such a parish is highly unlikely to have much money or a very beautiful building; people who are generally attracted to traditional Western liturgical churches will be more likely to go Anglican or trad Catholic if these options are in range, as they are more likely to be firmly established. That leaves you with those who are specifically looking for Western Rite Orthodoxy, a tiny niche within a niche.

I have a little anecdote which doesn't necessarily prove anything, but since we're dealing with such a small pond, maybe it's worth sharing. My hometown has an annual festival centered around a famous monster movie filmed there, and all the local organizations put out tents for people to learn about them. The local continuing Anglican church (in the Diocese of Christ the King) had a booth and I approached the guys there. I told them I go to the local Orthodox church and one of them started talking about WRO, about which he was very knowledgeable- he had a copy of the missal put out by the AWRV and other material related to the Western Rite. But he was happy where he was, and felt that Western Rite Orthodoxy was a ghetto within Orthodoxy that was unlikely to ever get much respect or support. He specifically mentioned the Byzantine paraclesis inserted into the Mass as a sign that the Orthodox basically distrusted the Western tradition. I told him I felt the same way but, as an obscure layman, no one is ever likely to care what I think.

But other than that, like most (all?) continuing Anglicans, he regarded us as brothers and a real church, and had a lot of respect for our tradition. Now, I'm not saying we can completely reciprocate that feeling- the historical and doctrinal problems of Anglicanism are big- but I think with just a little more respect toward them and their tradition, it would not be hard to bring them to Orthodoxy.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Another oddity I've seen is that several parishes have started the transition to WRO through the AWRV, but later affiliate with ROCOR. How does the jump between jurisdictions work?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Another oddity I've seen is that several parishes have started the transition to WRO through the AWRV, but later affiliate with ROCOR. How does the jump between jurisdictions work?
More than likely a petition to the bishops.