• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

AntiVirus Software

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I just had a really bad experience with a worm in my computer.  I have Norton AntiVirus, but the instructions on their web page for dealing with it just made things worse.  Moreover, when I called their customer service they were very unhelpful and put me on hold for hours (not an exaggeration.)

Is there anything better than Norton out there?  What are the alternatives and which is the best in terms of effectiveness and customer service?

Bizzlebin

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
I think the best way to keep one's computer clean is prevention. Don't use programs like Outlook, don't go to questionable websites, and don't open attachments from people you don't know (and even then scan them if you're unsure). I haven't had a virus in years.

As for Norton, I found the tools and scans to be helpful, but the customer service was not very good.

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Salpy said:
I just had a really bad experience with a worm in my computer. I have Norton AntiVirus, but the instructions on their web page for dealing with it just made things worse. Moreover, when I called their customer service they were very unhelpful and put me on hold for hours (not an exaggeration.)

Is there anything better than Norton out there? What are the alternatives and which is the best in terms of effectiveness and customer service?
Try AVG anti-virus software ( http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 ), it's free and better than Norton, which is rather poorly rated. Of course, being free it doesn't have any customer service but there are som pretty good forums (I'd give a link, but I believe that's technically against this forum's rules, in any case google is your friend) and it's probably the best anti-virus out there.

Silouan said:
yeah go to www.apple.com and you will never worry about things like a virus or worm again.ÂÂ
Well, if we're going to be advocating a change of operating systems I'm going to have to suggest http://www.slackware.com/ not only is it a better, more stable operating system than OS X, it's Free (as all OS's should be) and will run on his current hardware with cheaper upgrades...Power to the Penguin! ;)

Bizzlebin said:
I think the best way to keep one's computer clean is prevention. Don't use programs like Outlook, don't go to questionable websites, and don't open attachments from people you don't know (and even then scan them if you're unsure). I haven't had a virus in years.

As for Norton, I found the tools and scans to be helpful, but the customer service was not very good.
Or maybe we could yank out the modem, wireless internet card, and/or Ethernet Card making sure our computer never gets online or communicates with other computers. No need to restrict use, just use common sense and take precautions, I've been known to download things that I need that have viruses packaged with them on a fairly regular basis, yet I haven't had my computer infected with a virus for years, it's all about knowing how to manage your computer.

prodromos

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
One package I use on a regular basis on the computers here at work is the Damage Cleanup Engine from Trend Micro called "sysclean". You can download it free from this location

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp

Its the Sysclean Package. You also need to download and extract the latest virus pattern file from here

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/viruspattern.asp

I've found that it cleans up most viruses and worms, though it is always good to use more than one package as each has its strengths and weaknesses. On one of the computers here I had to boot in safe mode, run sysclean, reboot in safe mode and rerun sysclean before it managed to clean up everything after a particularly nasty infection. Staff here just can't help themselves when they receive interesting looking attachments in their email :p

John

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for your help.  I guess from now on I have to practice "safe computering."  :)

LucianNae

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Romania
If you want to support God's chosen people, use ZoneAlarm. It's developed by a company from Israel called Check Point.

It does a good job protecting your PC (I guess), but I do have to warn you about the fact that it's ridiculously difficult to uninstall. It leaves behind folders with its files on your PC without even informing you. I found this out when I uninstalled it and tried to install another antivirus. The new antivirus told me that I already had ZoneAlarm on my PC, which I obviously didn't have.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Senior Patriarchate
Israel ≠ Jews

LucianNae

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Romania
The fact that God chose them to be His people is a good enough reason for me.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Check Point invented the endpoint firewall that we use. That was a good thing. The last time ZoneAlarm was rated by SE labs (Q2 2020; https://selabs.uk/consumer/) it was triple A rated. I personally prefer Sophos when I can get it for free. It doesn't slow things down like McAfee which is free through my internet provider.

Richmond

Reaction score
Faith
Confused Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
The best way to prevent viruses is to use Ubuntu.

Now, a less drastic option that I use on Windows machines is ESET. Reasonably priced, updates regularly, works well.

Avdima

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Seeking
Jurisdiction
Caliphate of The Overthere...
The best way to prevent viruses is to use Ubuntu.

Now, a less drastic option that I use on Windows machines is ESET. Reasonably priced, updates regularly, works well.
Eset is good for most anti-malware like virus, worms and pups and its signatures are top notch. But Eset is very bad against ransomware or hijack-ware and Zero Days because its HIPS is outdated tech. Bitdefender and Kaspersky are much better solutions for ransomware and zero-days since they have best in class machine learning, and behavior blockers that can stop or even learn about new attacks and rollback the infection in a smart manner.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Bitdefender is great. Light on the resources, running in the background, no-maintenance, all around awesome.