• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Any Bluegrass music fans 'round here?

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
It's one of those genre's that you either love or think of the movie Deliverance. :)  I was lucky enough to see Earl Scruggs before he passed away back '12.  He had to sit down to play, but boy did he make that banjo SING!  I've also seen Steve Martin (the comedian) play in person.  I knew he played the banjo in his comedy sketches, but didn't realize just how good he is and how serious he takes it. 

For any fans of the Andy Griffith show, the Darlings (Dillards in real life) are from right down the road from me.

My wife gave me a mandolin a few years back, but I'm still not very good at it.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Love it, listen to it around here a lot. My wife's family was a traveling bluegrass band for years (she plays flat-pick guitar). Keep practicing -- the world needs more mandolin!

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Love it, listen to it around here a lot. My wife's family was a traveling bluegrass band for years (she plays flat-pick guitar). Keep practicing -- the world needs more mandolin!
I've finally mastered tuning the thing.  :)  I can play the guitar, but not picking.  Did your wife's band ever make it down to the Ozarks?  I might have seen them.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Porter ODoran said:
I've finally mastered tuning the thing.  :)  I can play the guitar, but not picking.  Did your wife's band ever make it down to the Ozarks?  I might have seen them.
Yeah, I think they made a loop thru there every year. But they just played churches. Gospel bluegrass band.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Porter ODoran said:
Yeah, I think they made a loop thru there every year. But they just played churches. Gospel bluegrass band.
I love listening to a local program called Believer's Bluegrass.  Did they ever cut a record?  If you don't mind me asking, what did they call themselves?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Porter ODoran said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Porter ODoran said:
I love listening to a local program called Believer's Bluegrass.  Did they ever cut a record?  If you don't mind me asking, what did they call themselves?
They cut a couple three records. She's also in an all women bluegrass band -- secular -- now. Don't know if I should give the name, as I've talked about the poor girl rather controversially in some threads around the time of our divorce. I'll give it some thought.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Porter ODoran said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Porter ODoran said:
They cut a couple three records. She's also in an all women bluegrass band -- secular -- now. Don't know if I should give the name, as I've talked about the poor girl rather controversially in some threads around the time of our divorce. I'll give it some thought.
I understand. 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
One of the first things my wife and I did after we got married was attend a bluegrass campground in the Alabama foothills. This was shortly after Katrina wiped the Gulf Coast clean, and so when we showed up in a car (and only a car) with Louisiana tags, they refused to take our money because they thought we were homeless evacuees even though we insisted we weren't. Half of the acts who played the festival formed there on the grounds after the individual members met up.

I plan to take a truckload of instruments and try to join in should I ever make it back.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I like Irish trad music, so I tend to like bluegrass too when I hear it, though I haven't really explored it much apart from a Stanley Bros' album I own.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Bill Monroe is 'aight.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
One of the first things my wife and I did after we got married was attend a bluegrass campground in the Alabama foothills. This was shortly after Katrina wiped the Gulf Coast clean, and so when we showed up in a car (and only a car) with Louisiana tags, they refused to take our money because they thought we were homeless evacuees even though we insisted we weren't. Half of the acts who played the festival formed there on the grounds after the individual members met up.

I plan to take a truckload of instruments and try to join in should I ever make it back.
Bluegrass folks are the coolest and kindest.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I spent a bit of yesterday evening working on an arrangement of Are You Washed in the Blood? for guitar and mandolin. Since I misplaced my hymnals during the last move, I'm reconstructing it from memory/by ear. It would be easier to just listen on YouTube, but it's sort of how I unwind after a 13-hour workday.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
Yep, the old stuff. Stanley Brothers make my top ten. Bill Monroe isn't far off. Similarly held eclectic tastes

A lot of the new stuff has something wrong with it to my ears. Almost like a pop, contemporary christian music thing going on, with a fake vocal twang.

It's funny, I was reading about the differences between Old Time and Bluegrass the other day. Some interesting, cogent pieces that seemingly helped explain it. But the analysis seemed too crisp, and I frankly think it's largely wrong. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
Yep, the old stuff. Stanley Brothers make my top ten. Bill Monroe isn't far off. Similarly held eclectic tastes

A lot of the new stuff has something wrong with it to my ears. Almost like a pop, contemporary christian music thing going on, with a fake vocal twang.

It's funny, I was reading about the differences between Old Time and Bluegrass the other day. Some interesting, cogent pieces that seemingly helped explain it. But the analysis seemed too crisp, and I frankly think it's largely wrong. I'll keep trying to figure it out.
Bluegrass is to Old Time what Led Zeppelin is to Delta. The bluegrass style was developed to be revolutionarily technically dazzling. At about the same time guitar rock was developed.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
And, agreed, most of the Nu-grass is just sad.
+1

A fake bluegrass twang sounds just as bad as a fake British accent in the movies.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
I don't know if fits as nu-grass, but I like Punch Brothers and Nickel Creek, I haven't heard everything from them, but as far as I heard, I find it very nice and interesting.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
juliogb said:
I don't know if fits as nu-grass, but I like Punch Brothers and Nickel Creek, I haven't heard everything from them, but as far as I heard, I find it very nice and interesting.
Meh.

mcarmichael

Archon
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
;)