• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Any good books on ecclesiology?

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Since my last thread like this went so well, I'm wondering if anyone could point me to a good book or two or three (that are recent) on ecclesiology.

And by ecclesiology, I don't mean 'What does the Church look like today?' nor 'What did the Church look like back then?' nor 'Here are some great ideas about how the Church could look!' which are unfortunately the majority of things that get labeled ecclesiology today.

Instead, I'm looking more for books that actually address what the Church is.

Onesimus

Elder
Reaction score
Have you read being as communion by John Zizioulas.  To me it addressed the single most missing aspects of what the Church is.  It changed my life. 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
AaronIsom said:
Have you read being as communion by John Zizioulas.  To me it addressed the single most missing aspects of what the Church is.  It changed my life.
Yeah, I read it about a year ago, though I'm planning on reading it again whenever get around to finding my copy.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Maybe it's a bit cliche, but that For the Life of the World book by Schemam (weird last name I can't spell) is pretty good from the sacramental perspective. It really explores that body of Christ theme.

Jonathan

High Elder
Reaction score
His Broken Body by fr Laurent Cleenewerck
Eucharist, Bishop, Church by Met John Zizioulas

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Maybe it's a bit cliche, but that For the Life of the World book by Schemam (weird last name I can't spell) is pretty good from the sacramental perspective. It really explores that body of Christ theme.
Schmemann is good.  The only problem is I've read every major Schmemann book.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
His Broken Body by fr Laurent Cleenewerck
Eucharist, Bishop, Church by Met John Zizioulas
I totally forgot about Cleenewerck, thank you!

And I've been thinking about Eucharist, Bishop, Church.  But I wasn't sure if it was worth it.  I guess I'll check it out, now that I've got a recommendation

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
AaronIsom said:
Yeah, I read it about a year ago, though I'm planning on reading it again whenever get around to finding my copy.
I've been wanting his books for awhile now, especially his Communion and Otherness but right now I just can't spend $60 some dollars for it although probably worth every penny.

I know nothing about the used book market online, would you know where I can look to get a reasonably priced copy?

I'm not a fan of Kindle editions.

Onesimus

Elder
Reaction score
Nothing,

I'll PM you tomorrow.  I've got an extra copy of one book I can send to you via your parish and I want the others by Zizioulas.    I have a monthly book budget paid for by a grant, and I we can work something out for a long term borrowing. 

Blessings. 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
nothing said:
JamesRottnek said:
AaronIsom said:
I've been wanting his books for awhile now, especially his Communion and Otherness but right now I just can't spend $60 some dollars for it although probably worth every penny.

I know nothing about the used book market online, would you know where I can look to get a reasonably priced copy?

I'm not a fan of Kindle editions.
The best place to find books like this, used, is usually (in my experience) Amazon (in case you don't know, towards the top of every page, there's a "Buy it used at $x" button). 

http://www.bookfinder.com/ is also a good resource, though the problem is you usually wind up having to check multiple entries.  Also, Amazon is usually still the cheapest.

Abebooks sometimes has stuff cheaper than Amazon (http://www.abebooks.com)