• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Any ties between the Annunciation and Theophany?

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Are there any hymnographic, or otherwise, ties between the Annunciation and Theophany (and Pentecost I suppose)? The parallel descent of the Holy Spirit upon Mary and upon Jesus seems like it would have some kind of significance.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Nephi said:
Are there any hymnographic, or otherwise, ties between the Annunciation and Theophany (and Pentecost I suppose)? The parallel descent of the Holy Spirit upon Mary and upon Jesus seems like it would have some kind of significance.
No. Theophany, both in its hymns and in its iconography, has parallels with Christ's burial and resurrection, and with the redemption of Adam and Eve.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LBK said:
Nephi said:
No. Theophany, both in its hymns and in its iconography, has parallels with Christ's burial and resurrection, and with the redemption of Adam and Eve.
Alright.

So did any Fathers/saints write on the subject?