• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Anyone feel the Earth shake?

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
****. We just had an earthquake here. The phone lines are down but the internet is working. Shaking. no idea how to reach husband.

ETA: Say prayers. I heard that this went on all up the mid-Atlantic seaboard. I hope you all are safe.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
****. We just had an earthquake here. The phone lines are down but the internet is working. Shaking. no idea how to reach husband.

ETA: Say prayers. I heard that this went on all up the mid-Atlantic seaboard. I hope you all are safe.
Lord have mercy! Your husband doesn't receive email on his phone? Txt? Would seem to be a terrible earthquake to happen which would knock out all cell coverage in an urban area.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Besides the CO earthquake last night, there was just another doozy in Virginia.

I felt the movement in Michigan, and asked the man in the cube next to me if he felt anything.  He thought I was nuts.

I guess I wasn't.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:

There was a mild earthquake in Colorado/Northeastern New New Mexico as well.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:

I felt the movement in Michigan, and asked the man in the cube next to me if he felt anything.  He thought I was nuts.

I guess I wasn't.
I suppose that the two Earthquakes were connected. The CO was also felt in northeastern New Mexico.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I was able to reach him and talk for a minute (he was driving and didn't feel anything), my friend living upstairs hasn't been able to reach her husband. Cell is up and down. Only texts are working.

It was only several seconds long but I've never felt an earthquake before so I was scared spitless. Plus the house is kind of a mess (not too bad, but pretty bad for half a minute of shaking).

Hope there are no aftershocks. Lord have mercy.

I live less than an hour away from the suggested epicenter, as I'm finding out now. Glad the Internet is up so there is some way to communicate.

ETA: Really, Papist? What is going on today? Hope everyone in the affected areas is okay.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
I was able to reach him and talk for a minute (he was driving and didn't feel anything), my friend living upstairs hasn't been able to reach her husband. Cell is up and down. Only texts are working.

It was only several seconds long but I've never felt an earthquake before so I was scared spitless. Plus the house is kind of a mess (not too bad, but pretty bad for half a minute of shaking).

I live less than an hour away from the suggested epicenter, as I'm finding out now. Glad the Internet is up so there is some way to communicate.

ETA: Really, Papist? What is going on today? Hope everyone in the affected areas is okay.
We are fine here. I hope all is well with you? Any info on how strong your earthquake was? Does it look like everything is intact out there?

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:

Interesting. It was felt here in Cincinnati, OH. Evidently duct work and like were moving (we are actually on probably the worst fault line in America that thankfully is inactive, so we get bit worried when tremors reach this far).

I didn't feel anything because the lab I am in today houses our most precise instruments and we have a train which runs about 50 yards from the building, so the lab doesn't budge for nothing, so you could probably drop a warhead just outside and I wouldn't feel it.

Glad you spoke to your husband.

We've had a handful of tremors over the years.

Txt is always going to be the best way to reach someone for the most part.

In my prayers.

Lord have mercy!

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
I live about 45 minutes from where it started, in VA. SO shaky. I was actually trying to lie down for a nap and opened my eyes and everything was falling off of shelves etc. Scary stuff.

Hope you all are okay.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread. Everyone but me in the room that nothing can shake felt it. In fact objects on shelves and the like were moving evidently here in Cincinnati, OH.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
They're saying it's 5.8 and 5.9.

No calls are getting out now. Texts are apparently down now. Google is my BFF.

Some ambulances have gone out (I'm in the center of town) but everything appears to be okay in the general vicinity. We just moved into a very sturdy house, built in the 30s.

I don't want to keep working, but I have to. :( Luckily I am close enough to an exit so my friend and I can run out if need be.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
AWR said:
Yes, I felt it.  I was getting sea sick, had to go outside.
Except for my lab, our whole building is always moving. Some people have to take motion sickness medicine all the time. We have a train that runs within 50 yards of the building a few instruments which  when in operation literally shake the entire building.

The earthquake was obvious over that background noise.

Always had sea legs. Some don't.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Oops. I thought that it would be better than having a building fall on top of me. But I did do the doorway thing when it first happened. That was the only thing that came to mind. Thank you, 2nd grade.

ETA: We live across the street from a park, where there are no buildings around for a block or so. Hm. But I guess that the running DURING the earthquake would be the worst part.

PrincessMommy

High Elder
Reaction score
I was driving dd to volleyball practice and didn't feel it... but I did hear it on live talk-radio on NPR.  It was quite a rumble.   My other kids were home and they felt it.  Radio claims it was a 5.8.  That seems high for the mid-atlantic states.

CoptoGeek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Felt it here in suburban Philly, SIL also felt it in Princeton, NJ.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Oops. I thought that it would be better than having a building fall on top of me. But I did do the doorway thing when it first happened. That was the only thing that came to mind. Thank you, 2nd grade.

ETA: We live across the street from a park, where there are no buildings around for a block or so. Hm. But I guess that the running DURING the earthquake would be the worst part.
Seriously, if you have never been in a *real* earthquake a dozen times and are nonchalant about it, do NOT move MUCH. Based on human behavior it is the most unsettling thing that can happen to a person.

People will flee in all sortsa odd directions leaving children behind, etc. Behaviors not exhibited in other catastrophes.

If a BIG one comes, please don't let your reptile brain start trying to make informed decisions when the earth moves and opens up and everything is crashing around you.

Know where you are going to go. Somewhere close. And go there. And don't move for a while. If you have a heads up as you do now turn on a radio so you can hear what is going on.

KISS.

Please.

Earthquakes are very unsettling figuratively as much as they are literally.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
So wait, pretty much stay put? So running across the street would be a bad idea.

Sorry, but you are right about the unsettling thing. My brain is not quite functioning now. I'm from an area where they don't really have earthquakes. Family was from California so they know the drill.

AND I still have to work. it's a pipe dream that my office would let us turn our work in a day late.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:

I guess I wasn't.
I remember sitting on my bed, drinking a wine cooler, when the bed shook.  I thought, looking at the bottle "I can't be drunk."  The next day I overheard someone in the bookstore asking someone if they felt the earthquake.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
So wait, pretty much stay put? So running across the street would be a bad idea.

Sorry, but you are right about the unsettling thing. My brain is not quite functioning now. I'm from an area where they don't really have earthquakes. Family was from California so they know the drill.

AND I still have to work. it's a pipe dream that my office would let us turn our work in a day late.
Read that FEMA advice.

If you were a child of the Cold War, I would suggest you just do what you taught in case of a nuclear attack. Which we drilled a lot.

Just have a plan please. Simple. And stick to it.

In the future you might want to figure out where the load bearing doorways and the like are in your place. Manual crank radio / flashlight.

If you want to go crazy, water and rations back up and a method of disposing of your bodily fluids in a sanitary method as possible.

That whole sanitation thing is the worst aspect of catastrophe management in an urban area. Water and food you can plan for, it takes some real planning to figure out how to manage your own waste, but you can't expect your entire city to do the same.

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Weirdly enough, Mr. Ismi and his friends are all obsessed with survival shows, and I get to hear their plans just about every time we hang out. Too bad it is about zombie invasions and what's going to happen on judgment day (the Terminator one, not the Jesus one).

We actually are prepared on the stuff side -- keep water, food, first aid, fire starters, etc in several places that will last for two weeks if used sparingly. (They are obsessed with packing these boxes too.)

Despite my light-heartedness earlier, the one thing we haven't really discussed is earthquakes. Floods, nuclear, everything else. NOT earthquakes. Will go over that with him and communication options when he gets home.

Thank you for the advice as always :)

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Felt it in Baltimore.  I was on the 21st floor of our building and initially thought it was just the wind.  Then I noticed the plant in the corner of the conference room I was in literally bouncing. 

Then a secretary knocked on the door and told me we had to leave.  Thankfully, it was a very nice day so I got an extra bit of sunshine this afternoon.

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
We definitely felt it here. There's been some significant damage at the National Cathedral, including the fall of three of the four pinnacles on the central tower.

Meanwhile someone dug through a gas main near our house and we can't get home.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Weirdly enough, Mr. Ismi and his friends are all obsessed with survival shows, and I get to hear their plans just about every time we hang out. Too bad it is about zombie invasions and what's going to happen on judgment day (the Terminator one, not the Jesus one).

We actually are prepared on the stuff side -- keep water, food, first aid, fire starters, etc in several places that will last for two weeks if used sparingly. (They are obsessed with packing these boxes too.)

Despite my light-heartedness earlier, the one thing we haven't really discussed is earthquakes. Floods, nuclear, everything else. NOT earthquakes. Will go over that with him and communication options when he gets home.

Thank you for the advice as always :)
Ah yes, the SHTF Box/Bag.  Add a good bit of ammunition and you sound like you are set.  The whole "zombie apocalypse" thing is actually a good theoretical survival exercise and surprisingly people look at you a bit less weird when you say you are preparing for the zombie than when you say you are preparing for the Reds.  The CDC has an article about preparation for the ZA.

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
When I got up from a short nap, my wife told me I missed an earthquake. She felt it; was on the phone with a friend who also felt it.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The whole world is shaking now can't you feel it?

Anyway I live in CO and didn't feel anything but it was way south of me.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
I live about 45 minutes from where it started, in VA. SO shaky. I was actually trying to lie down for a nap and opened my eyes and everything was falling off of shelves etc. Scary stuff.

Hope you all are okay.
God's trying to take down those Cosmos from your shelf.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Achronos said:
IsmiLiora said:

Hope you all are okay.
God's trying to take down those Cosmos from your shelf.
Nice, call back! Out of taste perhaps for most, but not me.

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
IsmiLiora said:

Hope you all are okay.
I live in Richmond, about 40 miles from Mineral. I was coming out of the grocery store and felt dizzy. The lady next to me asked if I felt something strange happening.