Anyone got any beautiful picture of Western Rite Orthodox Churches?

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I wonder if there is anybody out there familiar with the Western Rite who can share the beauty and aesthetic experiences found in these Churches - to help those who aren't familiar with it.

So that is the purpose of this thread.

Edit: The title should be "pictures," but whatever.

I'll start:

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
LivenotoneviL said:
I don't know why, but I wonder if there is anybody out there familiar with the Western Rite who can share the beauty and aesthetic experiences found in these Churches - to help those who aren't familiar with it.

I'll start:

Nice! Where was this one taken?

I hope this thread goes on. :)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
St. Thomas in Mountain Home, Ark.

Formerly Reformed Episcopal/ACNA.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LivenotoneviL said:
Saint Augustine of Hippo Orthodox Church in Denver, Colorado.
Hey that's the very first Orthodox parish I visited  ;) And it's even more beautiful in person.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I had initially thought there was no WR parish in my area. Now that I found out that there is, I'm itching to go to it.

Ioustinos

Reaction score
LivenotoneviL said:

I'll start:

I lived in Denver at the time that I was received into the Orthodox Church.  There are about 4-5 Antiochian parishes in the area with only one being Eastern Rite and the rest Western Rite. 

Unfortunately I never visited any of the Western Rite parishes even though I only lived 5 minutes from them.  At the time I don't think I would have appreciated them as much as I think I could now.  Then it would have smacked of "Catholicism" to me and would have turned me off.  However, as I have grown in my faith and have begun to appreciate the Western Orthodox world I hate that I missed out on that experience.  I still prefer the Eastern Rite - something about it just resonates with me - but I am learning to appreciate the Western Rite and those whose hearts are drawn to God by it.

Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
There's no canonical WRO parish in Brazil, but I hope to be able to visit one when I finally make my long awaited trip to Buenos Aires.
The French Orthodox Church has two parishes in Brazil.  While it may not sit well with you to take full part in their Mass, they would welcome you if you wished to attend and observe the Western Orthodox Mass.  I think they use the neo-Gallican Mass of St Germanus.

Reaction score
Here is the monastery chapel of St Michael and St Martin, near Luzé, in France.

Attachments

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Subdeacon Michael said:
RaphaCam said:
There's no canonical WRO parish in Brazil, but I hope to be able to visit one when I finally make my long awaited trip to Buenos Aires.
The French Orthodox Church has two parishes in Brazil.  While it may not sit well with you to take full part in their Mass, they would welcome you if you wished to attend and observe the Western Orthodox Mass.  I think they use the neo-Gallican Mass of St Germanus.
I was aware of Celtic Orthodox presence, but not French. Once I met a Leloup disciple at the bus, he said some weird things (including something about tantric sex). Are you aware where these parishes are?

Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Subdeacon Michael said:
RaphaCam said:
I was aware of Celtic Orthodox presence, but not French. Once I met a Leloup disciple at the bus, he said some weird things (including something about tantric sex). Are you aware where these parishes are?
I hadn't been aware of any presence in the Americas of the Celtic Orthodox Church other than the Monastery of the Holy Presence in the USA, where Bishop Paul (DuPuis) lives.  Is there a Brazilian presence too?

The French Orthodox Church (same communion as the Celtic Church) has parishes here and here.

Very peculiar - those things said by the person on the bus.  I haven't heard anything like that from within our communion, and would take it with a pinch of salt until I see something questionable from a direct source.

Mind you, I hadn't heard of Fr Jean-Yves Leloup until last year, and I haven't explored anything written by him yet.  I think I might.  He seems a prolific writer.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Eh -- the only canonical WRO mass I've attended was presided over by a priest who quite publicly (even famously) apostatized a short time later.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Subdeacon Michael said:
I hadn't been aware of any presence in the Americas of the Celtic Orthodox Church other than the Monastery of the Holy Presence in the USA, where Bishop Paul (DuPuis) lives.  Is there a Brazilian presence too?

The French Orthodox Church (same communion as the Celtic Church) has parishes here and here.

Very peculiar - those things said by the person on the bus.  I haven't heard anything like that from within our communion, and would take it with a pinch of salt until I see something questionable from a direct source.

Mind you, I hadn't heard of Fr Jean-Yves Leloup until last year, and I haven't explored anything written by him yet.  I think I might.  He seems a prolific writer.
He claimed to be from the Hesychast Center you linked second, he said it was upstate, but now I see it's about a ten minute walk from my own house, I've been to this street several times and never realised there was an Orthodox center, that's very impressive even if non-canonical. I'll check it out.

Maybe this guy was just crazy. I found the one Fr. Leloup's book I read a bit weird, New-Agish, but it was an interesting read nonetheless, and included nothing like tantric sex.

About the Celtic Orthodox Church, I just googled it and the thing gets a bit weird. I'll PM you about it.

Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Subdeacon Michael said:

He claimed to be from the Hesychast Center you linked second, he said it was upstate, but now I see it's about a ten minute walk from my own house, I've been to this street several times and never realised there was an Orthodox center, that's very impressive even if non-canonical. I'll check it out.

Maybe this guy was just crazy. I found the one Fr. Leloup's book I read a bit weird, New-Agish, but it was an interesting read nonetheless, and included nothing like tantric sex.
Thanks for the intro.  I'll take a look and see what I think.  Please do visit the centre for the Liturgy.  I'd be grateful to read your impressions.

About the Celtic Orthodox Church, I just googled it and the thing gets a bit weird. I'll PM you about it.
I know a little of the history of the British branch of the Celtic Orthodox Church.  This seems to be distinct from the history of the French branch.  The Wikipedia entry gives a very convoluted past for the UK branch, and then part way through the narrative just introduces a pre-existing French part of the same church, without much explanation of where the latter came from.

In any case, the British Eparchy of the Celtic Orthodox Church now no longer exists.  Most of the clergy have either died or moved to other jurisdictions.  The two remaining clergy in the UK are now directly under the French Eparchy, which seems to have been historically much more stable than its former British counterpart.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Subdeacon Michael said:

Did you ever wind up paying that visit?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
LivenotoneviL said:
Saint Bride Hermitage

Maybe it's just because they don't have much money for decoration or something, but I really dig the contrast between the icons and the clean white walls in these pictures. It creates a kind of ethereal effect.

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
LivenotoneviL said:
Saint Bride Hermitage
Maybe it's just because they don't have much money for decoration or something, but I really dig the contrast between the icons and the clean white walls in these pictures. It creates a kind of ethereal effect.
Me too.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
It would be nice to have a WR parish in Brazil, however I think it would attract a lot of people from that ''igreja católica brasileira'' and similar schismatic roman catholic groups (some can be quite weird).

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
juliogb said:
It would be nice to have a WR parish in Brazil, however I think it would attract a lot of people from that ''igreja católica brasileira'' and similar schismatic roman catholic groups (some can be quite weird).
That's a point, the responsible people would have to be extra careful and observant. But, under the right bishop, abuse would be avoided and these people would come to greener pasture without bringing their errors with them.

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
juliogb said:
Talk about weird cultic groups!  The TFP would pray the Rosary at rapid fire pace outside the Melkite Catholic parish that I attended during Divine Liturgy and only come in to receive Holy Communion, just to leave and resume their Rosary.

I never understood why the priest put up with them.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Sharbel said:
Talk about weird cultic groups!  The TFP would pray the Rosary at rapid fire pace outside the Melkite Catholic parish that I attended during Divine Liturgy and only come in to receive Holy Communion, just to leave and resume their Rosary.

I never understood why the priest put up with them.
It would be amazing to hear their reaction to the collocation of how Protestant this sounds.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
ROCORWRVUK said:
Not a church, but...

Christ is Risen!
He is risen indeed!

This thread is a heaven for me. I wish there was WRO in Finland.