• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Apostasy and blasphemy against Holy Spirit

Thetruthisgod

Reaction score
If someone receives the gift of the seal of The Holy Spirit(Chrismation) and then apostates, wouldn't it be the case that unless they repent they are in a state of blasphemy against The Holy Spirit?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I can see the connection you are speaking of, and it totally makes sense. On the other hand, aren't all people acted on by the Holy Spirit in some way, so that all will be judged on judgment day and none will have an excuse? Because of that I always took the concept of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which cannot be forgiven, as a potential state for everyone.

Gentleman

Reaction score
I think blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is when someone is at enmity with God because their ego is greater for them than God, and they are conscious of it, even if outwardly they pretend to be moral and decent. It applies both to apostates and pharisaical non-apostates.