Archbishop Elpidophoros is the Future of Orthodoxy

Saxon

Elder
Reaction score
A long read, if you can cut through the sycophancy.

Archbishop Elpidophoros is leading American Orthodoxy to prosperity. But not all at the Phanar are pleased with it.

It’s been more than a year since Elpidophoros Lambriniadis was elected the Archbishop of America. As expected, that decision of the Holy Synod turned out to be one of the most effective within decades – it took just several months for the new leader of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOARCH) to proceed greatly in clearing out the Augean stables after former Archbishop Demetrios and his followers. Elpidophoros came to the GOARCH clearly understanding that his tenure wouldn’t be a walk in the park – the Archdiocese suffered from constant scandals, shortage of funds and personnel crisis, the situation seemed to be desperate. However, the new Archbishop promptly dealt with the main issues: the construction of St. Nicholas Church at Ground Zero was resumed and money for it collected, the Hellenic College Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology was saved from losing its accreditation, conflicts ceased tearing the GOARCH apart, and ways to resolve the financial crisis were found.

However, Archbishop Elpidophoros doesn’t confine himself to his own domain’s issues only. During the pandemic, he raised an extremely important problem – changing the practice of receiving the Holy Communion for the sake of protecting health and saving lives of laity and clergy. The GOARCH Primate proposed using multiple spoons instead of one during the service, which could decrease the risk of infection.

Elpidophoros is a profound theologian who knows the ropes in dogmatics and Canons. There is no doubt that his proposal was based on weighty arguments from the point of view of history, theology, pastorship and ecclesiology. Amid the WHO recommendations, it seemed quite reasonable. It’s no secret that there are many hierarchs of the Ecumenical Patriarchate who support changes in the Communion practice including Archbishop Sotirios of Canada, Makarios of Australia and some of metropolitans in Western Europe who proposed such ideas.
Source: https://www.greeknewsonline.com/arc...XklbLtD9dTtEFWG0Lsh9Ayv9dSMPAn1L0bAkYp8VnxKbo

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Interesting article. Didn't they pick him to be Archbishop?

Saxon

Elder
Reaction score
What I took from this is that the Archbishop's efforts to "modernize" GOARCH (ie. going woke), to an even greater extent than what the EP is comfortable with, will make Orthodoxy attractive and palatable to modern America, with its increasingly progressive values. He's very comfortable with Biden and the Democrats. He has a "who am I to judge?" attitude towards remarried clergy, clerical and lay appearance, sexual orientation. He marches in solidarity with social justice movements, despite those movements openly embracing Marxism and anti-family values.

Where have we seen that before. And what were the results.

Reaction score
This will not end well, I am concerned where GOARCH is heading, bending to the will of modern culture will not get you converts, as we have learned from the modern Roman Catholic Churches, and the mainline Protestants, it will just make you apostate from the Christianity.

The only thing holding back the tide in GOARCH, are the few remaining clergy who truly hold to the faith, and those who are affiliated with the late Elder Epharim and their monasteries.

Saxon

Elder
Reaction score
I know literally nothing about the inner politics of GOARCH or the EP. Could someone please explain the significance of these Metropolitans suspended/shifted around?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
You know nothing about the inner politics of the GOARCH or the EP, yet you and seeker are so sure their flocks will become apostate.

The only two real Christian men in all the world! Glad I just met you.

Saxon

Elder
Reaction score
You know nothing about the inner politics of the GOARCH or the EP, yet you and seeker are so sure their flocks will become apostate.

I know the EP by the public actions of their hierarchs, which, looking at Ukraine, Macedonia, and the US, is quite enough.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Maybe the Episcopal church could use a Greek diocese or vicariate. Not sure how that would work.

Reaction score
He will probably be EP in the near future. I guess if someone sees him as being enlightened, then the future looks bright. If someone is suspicious of him then the future seems troubled.

Personally, I distrust him and believe a pessimistic approach alongside Solomon’s observation that there is nothing new under the sun is how some of us will deal as things unfold.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
How is forbidding the use of multiple spoons constitute his having " fallen into canonical transgressions "?

There has to be more to this than we know.

Let's just pray that everything sorts itself out, and that the integrity of the Church remains solid as ever.

Reaction score
I have to confess my approach in this thread is automatically reactionary to his eminence. Still, there always seems to be another so called socially challenging issue that he seems to prefer for his flock to engage in while the Gospel is neglected.

There are so many top down horror stories throughout history ( iconoclasm, persecution of “old believers”, etc.). It seems more reasonable to be suspicious rather than trusting when uncertainty seems to prevail.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Is Archbp. Iakovos that radioactive that he doesn't get a mention even as a legacy-of-activism-name-drop thing?

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
The National Herald says that Met. Evangelos is being transferred to Sardis in Asia Minor. According to Wikipedia, the Turkish name is Sart, and before 2005 its official name in Turkey was Sartmahmut. However I can't find anything about the 2005 name change to Sart.

It has just archeological ruins and things like a gas station and a Secondary School.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
How is forbidding the use of multiple spoons constitute his having " fallen into canonical transgressions "?

I agree. There is not really any real transparency as to why these two metropolitans were removed. The declaration about the Met. of Boston said that he was being put under Penance. I agree with you that deciding against having multiple spoons seems not big enough a sin to impose penance and removal. If multiple parishioners were dying from GOARCH communion spoons, it would be a different story, but even Abp. Elpidophoros has stated that you can't get COVID from the Eucharist.

IIRC one GOARCH blogger thought that the EP might have been planning in the last few years to bring in new staff like Abp. Elpidophoros to basically take over the administration and upper levels of the GOARCH in America. Unlike the OCA, for instance, the GOARCH is very much under the direction of the EP so that the EP is able to act unilaterally and arbitrarily regarding the metropolitans like this.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Some days it just doesn't pay to be a metropolitan.:censored:

Reaction score

Actually I'm in a GOARCH parish , but nice try lady, why not try saying the Jesus prayer or learning to attain inner peace, your always such a angry woman, that one quality a man will never find attractive.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Also:

Today, Thursday, October 8, 2020, on the third day of its work in this current month, the Holy and Sacred Synod extensively examined, among other items, issues of the Holy Archdiocese of America, and considered reports of His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros of America. The following decisions were taken:

a) It placed into abeyance the force of the Charter of the Holy Archdiocese of America, with the objective of constituting a joint Committee of representatives of the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Archdiocese for the composition of a new Charter...

-- The National Herald

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright, knock off the polemics and personal digs or I'll start passing out points. Thanks. --Ainnir

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
The National Herald says that Met. Evangelos is being transferred to Sardis in Asia Minor. According to Wikipedia, the Turkish name is Sart, and before 2005 its official name in Turkey was Sartmahmut. However I can't find anything about the 2005 name change to Sart.

It has just archeological ruins and things like a gas station and a Secondary School.
So not that dissimilar to New Jersey.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Actually I'm in a GOARCH parish , but nice try lady, why not try saying the Jesus prayer or learning to attain inner peace, your always such a angry woman, that one quality a man will never find attractive.
Did you take a vote with all the men in the world?

Ha haaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa haaa.

Also, it’s “you’re.”

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Does His Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch always sign his name, "Bartholomew of Constantinople, hereby determines in Christ God"? If yes, what does ". . . hereby determines in Christ God" mean?

Jude1:3

Elder
Reaction score
Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ, our God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.

Please pray to God for Our Jurisdiction and the rest of The Church beloved Elder Ephraim (Memory Eternal) and Holy Saint Paisios Amen :

Last edited:

Saxon

Elder
Reaction score
Does His Holiness the Ecumenical Patriarch always sign his name, "Bartholomew of Constantinople, hereby determines in Christ God"? If yes, what does ". . . hereby determines in Christ God" mean?
It sounds as if he's the Vicar of Christ.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
A theory in the Pappas Post goes that Met. Evangelos could have been removed due to his encyclical that he sent to priests according to which the parishes in his Metropolis should listen to him rather than to GOARCH. According to the idea in Met. Evangelos’ letter, authority belongs in the Metropolises like his. His letter is here:https://secureservercdn.net/45.40.1...tent/uploads/2020/03/Following-Directives.pdf

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Metropolitan Methodios's suspension has nothing to do with the brouhaha in New Hampshire over communion spoons and the governor's directive. It has nothing to do with coronavirus, dismissed priests, fallout with parishes, or any of these other things. I wish I could say more, but I cannot. I can't do a "just trust me," since hardly anyone knows me IRL, but this is the best I can do.

Menas17

Reaction score
Metropolitan Methodios's suspension has nothing to do with the brouhaha in New Hampshire over communion spoons and the governor's directive. It has nothing to do with coronavirus, dismissed priests, fallout with parishes, or any of these other things. I wish I could say more, but I cannot. I can't do a "just trust me," since hardly anyone knows me IRL, but this is the best I can do.
Hopefully it was nothing too serious.

But, back to the title of the post, if Archbishop Elpidophoros is the "future" of Orthodoxy...then we are screwed. No offense, I know you are a priest in GOARCH, but, Abp. Elpidophoros, and to some extent the whole Patriarchate of Constantinople, has not proven worthy of upholding Orthodoxy. Neither myself, nor many other Orthodox, want anything to do with his new Orthodoxy, and the article reads like a promo for Greek Episcopalianism.

I know as an Antiochian the actions of GOARCH should not matter, but, they do and they affect all Orthodox in America in some way shape or form. I may be Antiochian but I go to Greek monasteries and my father-confessor is in GOARCH.

Last edited:

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's be careful not to slip into anything polemical in this section. Feel free to start a spinoff thread in Religious Topics to vent concern.
Thanks. --Ainnir

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Oh, wow. “We’re scr*wed!”

Yes, the GOAA is the worst thing to happen to anybody! We’re really Greek Episcopalians!

I never thought the Antiochians were against anybody, but now I know better.

Slamming not only an Archbishop, but his whole body of followers. Of whom I happen to be one.

Next time someone pipes up about how we’re so much better than the RCC, I will show them this thread.

Know what my goal was when I joined the Orthodox Church? To worship God.

That’s all I’ve been trying to do since.

I can guarantee you that nearly 0 people from this board have met Abp. Elpidophorous face to face.

How you can speak to how bad he is, is beyond me.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Oh, wow. “We’re scr*wed!”

Yes, the GOAA is the worst thing to happen to anybody! We’re really Greek Episcopalians!

I never thought the Antiochians were against anybody, but now I know better.

Slamming not only an Archbishop, but his whole body of followers. Of whom I happen to be one.

Next time someone pipes up about how we’re so much better than the RCC, I will show them this thread.

Know what my goal was when I joined the Orthodox Church? To worship God.

That’s all I’ve been trying to do since.

I can guarantee you that nearly 0 people from this board have met Abp. Elpidophorous face to face.

How you can speak to how bad he is, is beyond me.
Criticizing the GOA or the EP is not necessarily a criticism of its members. The typical member is most likely an average Christian and a decent human being of little importance.

xariskai

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Interesting article. Didn't they pick him to be Archbishop?

"An especially urgent light has now been shone on these questions of ecclesiology and primacy by events at the Phanar over the past week: namely, the “voluntary” resignation of Arcbishop Demetrios of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America on May 4 and the “election” of Metropolitan Elpidophoros to replace him on May 11, a mere week later—”voluntary” and “election” both apparently being, by all reports, up for debate."

Last edited:

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score