• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Archbishop Elpidophoros officiates baptism of gay couple in Athens

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
All right.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
Faith
Of Avvakum and Neronov
Jurisdiction
Old Rite, Chasovenny
I am no longer Orthodox.
Is that perhaps a reason why you take such issue with this thread? The fact that one's baptism condemns them if they do not uphold the Faith?

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
Lord have mercy.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If someone promotes or defends heresy or sin, expect blowback. She defends sin consistently.
I do not believe that she defends heresy consistently. I agree with many, but not all of her comments. I believe she has been abused on this forum, not as bad as what Maria went through, but bad.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting. But a lot of the comments appear to be scoring points against her for egotistical reasons, rather than engaging with her with compassion and good intentions. Maybe you have done so, but I have not noticed.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Thank you, Opus118.

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Dn Chryssavgis keeps at it, basically telling Athos to keep its mouth shut:

It boggles the mind, how much Constantinople's spokesmen are willing to memory-hole the whole Crete thing, which had a statement on marriage rather different than their new line.
Interesting statement itself. It blows the supposed AOB stuff "out of the water". It still leaves the door open to questions, has various inaccuracies, and I think does not fully reflect the Patristic understanding, but it's a starting point, unlike the recent Athos statement (which doesn't even reflect their own saints's practice).

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Dn Chryssavgis keeps at it, basically telling Athos to keep its mouth shut:

It boggles the mind, how much Constantinople's spokesmen are willing to memory-hole the whole Crete thing, which had a statement on marriage rather different than their new line.
I knew there would be a "by the way, Ukraine" somewhere, but I didn't expect it to be set even before he actually introduces the subject.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Interesting statement itself. It blows the supposed AOB stuff "out of the water". It still leaves the door open to questions, has various inaccuracies, and I think does not fully reflect the Patristic understanding, but it's a starting point, unlike the recent Athos statement (which doesn't even reflect their own saints's practice).
Raising random patristic facts taken from university-acquired erudition without making a conclusion is usually how modernists introduce doubt in order to make it sound like they have a valid point without even stating their point with clarity. That's why they love mystical theology, but hate actual monks. The Athonite monks are definitely wrong about nuclear families, but they're using the common discourse they're aware of to try to make a case for truth while there are people actively trying to introduce confusion, which is why I guarantee you that what Fr. John Chryssavgis is doing isn't about correcting them on pastoral advice.

Last edited:

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
they're using the common discourse they're aware of to try to make a case for truth while there are people actively trying to introduce confusion
Better educated people, by the way, with a deeper understanding of the nuances of patrology, Byzantine Greek, canon law... There are a thousand ways to say someone is wrong, and claiming monks should shut up because they'll never bee like St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite is so unchristian and heterodox that honestly his technical knowledge is moot. Satan quoted the Torah from heart.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I know someone who was being baptised RC as a kid and the priest asked his father: "Do you renounce Satan and his works?" He said "no" and the priest pretended he hadn't listened, lol
The Dad said that or the little kid?

Probably sometimes little kids who just learned how to say "No" but don't understand what is going on do this if they were baptized at that age. They hear a man whom they don't know and who is 3-4 times taller than themselves interrogating them with Yes/No questions they don't know or understand the answers to.

RaphaCam

Reaction score
Website
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
The Dad said that or the little kid?

Probably sometimes little kids who just learned how to say "No" but don't understand what is going on do this if they were baptized at that age. They hear a man whom they don't know and who is 3-4 times taller than themselves interrogating them with Yes/No questions they don't know or understand the answers to.
It was the dad. Baptisms are more civic than religious. Almost no one understood our decision to have chosen Orthodox godparents for our first son, for example, and people have called it sectarian and even hypocritical.